Talk

Advanced search

Any non-Exec directors/ Trustees?

(29 Posts)
Manoxlon Fri 12-Jun-15 16:32:57

I have been trying to get appointed as charity trustee and NED with no luck (I have 15 years in the City)... any tips on how you (or anyone you know) has done it..?? Thanks

tabulahrasa Fri 12-Jun-15 16:40:05

Um, they approached me...not so helpful, lol.

The charity I'm with are always looking for board members with transferrable experience, usually their board members are people that have experience of them either as service users or volunteers...is that an option?

Christelle2207 Fri 12-Jun-15 16:48:59

Hi. I recruit to NED posts (headhunter). TBH you will struggle unless you have Exec experience.

Manoxlon Fri 12-Jun-15 17:57:10

Hi Tabulahrasa, may I ask what charity it is? Are they currently looking? Thanks!

Manoxlon Fri 12-Jun-15 17:58:54

Hi Christelle2207, thanks for the feedback. How do you define exec experience..? Is it managing money? people? In your experience, how many years work experience does the typical NED have? thanks!!

tabulahrasa Fri 12-Jun-15 17:59:32

It's only a local one, so, as far as I know yes, but they only work in west lothian.

Preminstreltension Fri 12-Jun-15 18:03:05

Try the Women on Boards website. It costs to join but you can register for a free email roundup of vacancies every week. What sort of places have you been applying to?

YonicScrewdriver Fri 12-Jun-15 18:04:10

Have a look at the organisation Women on Boards and consider gojng to one of their events re charities.

LineRunner Fri 12-Jun-15 18:04:27

Are you hoping to be remunerated, btw?

Anyway, as Christelle says, the recruiters like to see Exec / Board level experience. But that can come from a number of backgrounds.

However this in itself is a bit of a farce given that the Lord Davies report and the work of Helena Morrissey stresses that there aren't enough women on Boards to begin with, and so the Centre for Public Appointments and the Cabinet Office etc are keen to appoint women - but yet the recruiters hold that you need Board experience to get appointed!

They also like to see at least two strings to your bow - so Board experience in the City maybe, but perhaps also stress an academic and/or existing charity or community profile.

YonicScrewdriver Fri 12-Jun-15 18:04:33

Hah, x post!

YonicScrewdriver Fri 12-Jun-15 18:05:50

For an NED role, sector contacts may be a key factor for a small company.

OllyBJolly Fri 12-Jun-15 18:13:33

I'm a NED and a Trustee (different companies). I've been a director for about 13 years. I was well known to the organisations for both trustee roles, and not so well known to the companies I'm a NED with, but well known in my sector. I was approached by the companies - I've never sought out these roles. All positions are remunerated. Just been asked to be a trustee for a third org and turned it down as too much on my plate as it is.

I think it's the board level experience and strategic outlook that's important. For a non exec they are looking for someone who will bring some external challenge to the exec directors' thinking, and will do that from a position of knowledge. So typically, the non exec will have some kind of expertise or insight that the board lacks.

I do recommend people for NED and Trustee roles but only when I think there's a very good fit. It's not in my interests to make recommendations just to be nice.

Manoxlon Fri 12-Jun-15 18:15:48

Hi LineRunner- Nope, not interested in the remuneration at this stage, just wanna get in! Will try your tips, thanks!!

Manoxlon Fri 12-Jun-15 18:16:35

Thanks Preminstreltension, will try that too!!

squeaver Fri 12-Jun-15 18:21:50

Have you tried Reach?

Are you a member of a professional organisation e.g. ICAEW? They sometimes have Trustee roles advertised on their websites. Smaller charities are much more likely to be in need of help and much easier to get into.

Also Escape the City, although I don't think they have too many NED roles on there.

Manoxlon Fri 12-Jun-15 18:21:57

Hi OllyBJolly
great insight, thanks! How senior do your peers on boards tend to be? Is there one or two things that they all have in common..?!?

Manoxlon Fri 12-Jun-15 18:24:00

Hi Sqeaver- I am not an accountant (nor a lawyer), which is where many trustee jobs tend to be clustered in my experience. Will try Escape the City- thanks!!

tabulahrasa Fri 12-Jun-15 18:28:27

Oh - goodmoves sometimes advertise voluntary posts like that thinking about it.

chippednailvarnish Fri 12-Jun-15 18:29:42

I'm an ex trustee and an accountant - it's generally a case that I've been asked as I can provide very specific knowledge on a defined area. Do you have a specific skill set? The Guardian always have small charities advertising.
As far as being a NED, all the ones I have know have had very long standing relationships with members of the existing board...

Christelle2207 Sat 13-Jun-15 12:51:11

When I say exec I mean experience as an Executive Director.
As pp have said a specific skill is usually required - this could be banking in your case but the most common requirements I see are for
Accountants (eg. Finance
Directors), also marketing/hr/legal folk, in other words strong functional
Expertise.
Time is a major factor which is why most NEDs tend to be recently retired. Boards are on the whole trying to reduce time commitments though to change this, and females with a younger profile can be strong candidates.

squeaver Sat 13-Jun-15 16:10:59

Don't forget Reach. I'm a Trustee of a charity and we've had three excellent Trustees from there.

Seriouslyffs Sat 13-Jun-15 16:16:17

Are you a Christian OP?

LineRunner Sat 13-Jun-15 17:27:32

Christelle, how do you recruit NEDs from a representative background if they already have to have Executive experience?

Toooldtobearsed Sat 13-Jun-15 17:33:28

man can I ask (broadly speaking) what your background is?

I work for a not for profit, and although we do not advertise for Trustees, we always keep a keen eye open for potentials.

We are small, very friendly and possibly a good stepping stone to bigger and better things?

geel free to pm me.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 14-Jun-15 15:07:52

Hi Man

Lots of advice/links already I would add:

- Can you focus on one role for now? I would go for a charity trusteeship first and then use that board experience to get a NED role. Searching for 2 at once sounds exhausting...

- Re charity trusteeships. I would try smaller charities, larger well known ones often have the pick of trustees.

- I would also think about choosing a cause you care about. It is a lot of time to give for something you don't care about/have an interest in.

- Have you taken a step back and looked at what you can offer the charity and why you want to be a trustee for them? You need to sell yourself like a potential employee. I am wondering if you are searching for these roles to help your career? This is v obvious but your drivers aren't as important to them as their needs etc.

- The charity board needs strategic leadership - what skills/experience can you bring?

- I echo the Women in Boards suggestion. They do a fairly cheap 'Intro' nights were you might meet some RL NEDs you can talk to.

- Apply for a few. I know it is frustrating offering to volunteer and not getting anywhere but you need to widen the net.

- Mention to your contacts you are looking either directly or in LinkedIn. Recommendation is the way lots of charities find new board members.

Good luck. Hope you find a role soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now