Talk

Advanced search

Would you take this job or just keep volunteering?

(3 Posts)
SolasEile Tue 09-Jun-15 22:27:43

For the past 3 years, I've been on a career break. I've volunteered in that time and studied but have mostly spent the time having my 2 DC.

I said I would go back to work asap after having my second child was born (7 months ago) but it seems like a big jump to go back full-time with a 3-year old and a baby so I started looking for something part-time or flexible that I can do for a while instead.

An au-pair agency has just offered me a job that I can mostly do from home - it involves interviewing host families, doing orientation with new au-pairs and trying to market the agencies to get new families signed up. The pay is just pin money but that's not so important, it's more about keeping in touch with my skills, building up contacts and filling a gap on my CV.

That said, it looks like it's going to be quite a time commitment for very little money. I get paid per meeting and for any new clients I bring in but the day-to-day work of e.g. updating client information or marketing the agency at parent-focused events is not paid. In that respect it is pretty much a self-employed role.

I have a volunteer role where I do communications / marketing for a non-profit and that is more in line with my long-term career goals. So should I bother with the pin money job or just keep volunteering? The job seems like it might be quite a bit of work for not much financial reward but equally it could be a fun opportunity and it's better than having nothing but volunteering on my CV - or is it?? Bit of a quandary for me so I'm putting it to the jury of MN!

Buddy80 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:28:44

I would personally keep volunteering.

Buddy80 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:55:54

To expand, you are already keeping up with the skills and making contacts. As you have been volunteering for what would seem a long-time, do you know if who you are with can offer you a job? Or if they have a partner oganisation? If not, would they be prepared to put you through a course of study.

If not, I would try applying for work in the sector you want to work. Either through mainstream recuitment or charity jobs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now