Talk

Advanced search

Help with job application please, I have nothing to write

(5 Posts)
dontwanttobeoutedtoday Thu 28-May-15 13:04:10

I am applying for a graduate trainee job, part of the application form asks what do you do outside of work and study the makes you stand out. I don't do anything, I work part-time, am a "full time" student and have two DC one of whom swims competitively & needs lifts to training etc 5 time a week. I'm not sure, sitting in my car drinking coffee and reading magazines counts as "standing out". I'd be interested to know what other people have put in similar situations. I need to write about the impact I have had through my personal achievements and list what I do/have done. I feel like the worlds most boring person at the moment.

addictedtosugar Thu 28-May-15 13:13:15

Organisation of what sounds like an increadibly busy schedule?
Do you help out at the school or swim club in anyway?
What sort of PT job? They might be thinking of popular student jobs like bar work? Is there anything different about your role?
Have you done any different work experience to a typical student (e.g industry relevent placements, or is your PT job industry relevent?)

Good Luck with the Job

dontwanttobeoutedtoday Thu 28-May-15 13:33:12

Thank you addicted. My part-time job is an admin role within the industry I used to be in. Whilst it is kind of related I don't want to emphasise it too much as I really want to move away from what I used to do into this particular area. I used to involved with the PTA but that has had to go since starting university, I also used to enjoy learning languages at a very basic level, I couldn't hold a conversation, more like what you can remember from languages in school 20 years later! I can write about what I do but I don't know how to frame it to answer the "impact" I have had through my personal achievements.

gradetracy Tue 02-Jun-15 12:18:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Forester Tue 02-Jun-15 12:28:58

Surely the biggest impact you are having is on your children's lives. The decision to go back into education must have been a big deal so explaining why you made the decision and why you believed it best for your family should be quite powerful. Also you can say that while you have limited opportunity for extra curricular activities you are supporting your dc in this area.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now