Talk

Advanced search

not sure where to start

(4 Posts)
doormat123 Mon 18-May-15 09:22:34

Any advice is welcome please…I'm not sure where to start….I haven't worked for 17 years, I've been a SAHM. Financially I don't 'need' to work, but I would like to do something part time. I certainly have a good brain, but I haven't worked in an office for so long, and am not sure what I am able to offer other than life experience and that just sounds so cliched. Who might actually want to employ me? Where is a good starting place? Thanks for any advice.

ssd Mon 18-May-15 09:28:44

you sound like you'd be a perfect volunteer, have you considered this?

doormat123 Mon 18-May-15 09:44:13

thank you, I have, but my financial situation is a bit complicated, and whilst I don't need it atm, I would like to do something that I will be able to earn from as I will need to rely on it in the future.

Littlef00t Wed 20-May-15 18:19:29

But that's the beauty of volunteering, you get recent relevant experience, network and form contacts that could be of use in the future, and prove to people that this is something you're serious about getting into.

What would you like to do? What did you do before and did you enjoy it? There might be free courses in IT skills etc, my local library runs a work club that has a volunteer coordinator who tried to find placements in what you're interested in.

Eg admin in a school, or helping to organise a fundraising event for a charity, loads more than just working in a charity shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now