Talk

Advanced search

Some good news for those of us who go out to work

(6 Posts)
OddBoots Sun 17-May-15 17:34:47

I have just been reading this report about inequalities being reduced by working mothers

Each family set up is different and there will be factors that are individual to that family but given how more and more families have a working mother this is good news for society in general.

"In a new study of 50,000 adults in 25 countries, daughters of working mothers completed more years of education, were more likely to be employed and in supervisory roles and earned higher incomes."

"Some of these effects were strong in the United States. Here, daughters of working mothers earned 23 percent more than daughters of stay-at-home mothers, after controlling for demographic factors, and sons spent seven and a half more hours a week on child care and 25 more minutes on housework."

I'm not sure why I feel the need to say this but just in case I'm taken the wrong way: this isn't a SAHM bash, I've got a lot of respect for SAHPs, it is just nice to read some positive research about working.

ssd Mon 18-May-15 09:31:33

it does make sense, but I still think staying at home is the best for the children

all quite confusing, really!!

as others here say, do what suits you as a family, thats all we can ever do...

SinclairSpectrum Mon 18-May-15 09:39:26

Ssd, why comment that you believe staying home is best on a thread intended to be good news for those that work??
I work and consider myself a role model for my children.

elelfrance Mon 18-May-15 09:42:40

Great to read something positive about working mums :-) i wonder maybe are the benefits more evident on older kids - ie young babies maybe benefit more from having their mum their, but older kids (and maybe in the long run) benefit from having their mum working

ssd Mon 18-May-15 21:52:55

because that's my opinion Sinclair, but clearly this story shows the other side, why shouldn't I express my opinion?

Velociraptor Mon 18-May-15 21:57:54

I work, and think that is best for my DS. I am sure staying at home is better for some other families. Surely it is never right to generalise as everyone is different?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now