This is sort of lighthearted, can I ask for some help with a new career please?

(14 Posts)
Bewildered7 Thu 30-Apr-15 19:21:09

I have name changed because I am embarrassed at my situation!

I am 33. I have no DC.

I have a Master's in Sociology (most useful subject ever, right)?

I have a Level 3 in Counselling (Level 4 needed to practice).

I didn't take Level 4 because I bought a house and just didn't have the money to do it (It's about 4-5K), and plus I looked at the earning potential and didn't know if it will be worth it, even though it is something I feel I would like to do, and also, it feels like something I could retrain in at any time so doesn't need to be done, 'yet' and I feel I should be earning money instead of studying.

I have a part time weekend job which began as a fulltime job but my hours got reduced-no chance of them being upped again. It's a great job, good pay, but basically involves smiling at people and helping host parties. I can't do it forever, and I want to be busy during the week. I feel I am wasting my brain and my degrees.

I like to help people-have thought about care work but everyone I know who does it (and what I have read on here!) have/has put me off.

I love animals

I like researching, writing. After Uni I had a job training people and developing new theories on training and customer service, researching groups of people. A great job but I was heavily bullied by some members of management, and sacked whilst off sick with stress as a result.

If you were me, what would you do? If you were a careers advisor and I walked in, what would you tell me to do?

Anything goes! Sorry for the entitlement I am just upset I've ended up in this situation and willing to try anything to get some insight!

My family have suggested I retrain totally as a dental nurse, or a teacher.. I have considered both but it seems they cost money?

Many thanks in advance.

A very confused and bewildered mumsnetter.

GoodToesBadToes Thu 30-Apr-15 19:24:14

I am considering a career change and the things I like are very similar to yours. I have no clue what to do. So I have no advice but am watching with interest to see what others suggest!

Bewildered7 Thu 30-Apr-15 19:28:25

Well, I am glad to not be alone in my confusion! I just want someone to suggest something and me to go 'Ooooh YES!' which I know is unlikely.

I'm quite capable in office work and stuff but Im out of it now-I don't think I could work an excel spreadsheet blush.

Akire Thu 30-Apr-15 19:32:31

What sort of wage, hours, training are you thinking about? Care work for example you can pretty much walk into after day or so training through an agency's. There always a demand as very high turn over. But the pay isn't great but depending where you work may give you insight into sorts of other care related jobs or if you can cope with messier side of nursing for example

Bewildered7 Thu 30-Apr-15 21:01:36

I'm not looking for a mega fantastic wage or anything. I'd like to be able to get a graduate wage 'eventually' but I feel I may be dreaming given the current climate.

I've thought about care work a lot-I do like the idea of it. It just seems all my care worker friends are upset at the way they're being treated, so I felt perhaps I shouldn't be even considering it. I don't know. I guess it could be a doorway to other things...

Akire Thu 30-Apr-15 23:32:45

I'm disabled I use agencies from time to time but tend to employ carers directly. I often take on people with no experiences it's the personality that counts. It's much easier working one person without stress of short visits. Usually lots adverts on gumtree for people /families looking for carers. The pay tends to be much better than agency. There also short term or holiday cover to see if suits you.

differentkindofpenguin Thu 30-Apr-15 23:40:23

Have you considered nurse training? Maybe mental health nursing? You will get a bursary, and your counselling training and willingness to help people will be great, it's such a rewarding job!

COPMyourselfon Thu 30-Apr-15 23:44:04

Occupational therapist! Huge variety in what you could do day to day and would make good use of your counselling skills.

Bewildered7 Fri 01-May-15 00:36:24

Akire, thank you for that! I am going to definitely look on gumtree would never have thought of that.

different no, I didn't know you could do that without any direct qualifications, so again thanks-shows how out of the loop I am.

COPM, same! Never would have considered it. I am now glad I began this thread, I almost didn't!Going to look into it, thank you xx

differentkindofpenguin Fri 01-May-15 09:17:59

Yes I agree OT is a great options for you!

Your degrees will more than qualify you to get onto a nursing degree- don't know if you want to go back to education? It is about 50% on the job training. MH nursing depending where you end up working you might be avoiding all of the "icky" bits of nursing altogether. My friend is a MH nurse in a secure setting and he loves it

Bewildered7 Fri 01-May-15 10:44:59

I'm fine with studying in theory I just really would rather not spend any more money on my education,being a bit jaded with it anyway sad

I have spent so long studying, achieved two degrees and am still here, after finishing uni I struggled to get work until I got the aforementioned job which didn't last.

I hope that makes sense and I don't sound entitled and as if I feel the world owes me a living-I just would feel daft going back into studying after spending five years already for nothing.

Having said that, I am liking the sound of OT and MH nursing. If I could train on the job on a very low wage that would be fine-I'm looking into it now as well as gumtree!

differentkindofpenguin Fri 01-May-15 10:52:52

I don't think you pay tuition fees on a nursing course- might be wrong as I did mine 100 years ago! I know a few people with psychology/ sociology/ English/ drama etc degrees who ended up doing nursing as they could not get a job.

There's always teacher training I suppose?

Bewildered7 Fri 01-May-15 11:06:01

I think nursing is a degree course now isn't it but not sure about MH.

Yes, I know a fair few of them too! I really wish I had have done soemthing else but hindsight is wonderful.

Teacher training yes my Mother suggested that! I wonder what it takes to be a teacher, any teachers about? wink

differentkindofpenguin Fri 01-May-15 18:27:06

Any nursing is degree level these days, but you do get paid for it.

Teacher training is I think 18 months and you get paid for that too. Hope some teachers turn up soon grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now