Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your kills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

How do you choose a career?

(2 Posts)
BananaHammocks Thu 12-Feb-15 11:37:03

When I was younger I didn't know what I wanted to do (not a lot has changed there!) so I did a degree in Business and Marketing thinking I could apply that to any industry but when I graduated and applied for entry level Marketing Assistant type roles I was always told the job went to someone with more experience. I did a temp job at my uni and have now been doing admin jobs within the education sector for the best part of a decade.

I had a baby last year and am not planning on having anymore children so I really want to get a proper career, do something I enjoy and am good at and earn more money but I don't know where to start. I'm working part-time now but, due to childcare costs, I don't have any spare money to pay for any courses.

How did you choose what career to go into?? I'm so jealous of people who've always known what they wanted to do or fell in to something!

I feel really demotivated as during the past 5 years I've applied for more than 10 jobs with my current employer (a university) but am still in the same role.

I'll stop now because I'm rambling!

PursueDreams1 Tue 17-Feb-15 15:54:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now