retraining but don't know what to do!

(11 Posts)
captaincake Wed 11-Feb-15 21:46:37

I have an opportunity to take some time out and retrain. I am currently on maternity leave from a job in care and I can't really go back because it's shift work and childcare is impossible to find. I don't want to be working shifts forever anyway so I was always planning to do something different. Is there some sort of careers advice for adults? I'm reasonably but certainly not very academic. I am interested in being a pharmacy dispensing assistant/technician. I'm not sure how to go about training really there are so many companies offering training but I wonder about the validity of so many of them. I have low confidence at the moment but I'm hoping that will improve once I decide and get started.

OP’s posts: |
ssd Wed 11-Feb-15 21:49:07

I feel the same as you so would welcome any advice on here too

although I havent a clue what I should retrain as!!!

I've forgotten what I like blush and what I enjoy..

MsAspreyDiamonds Fri 20-Feb-15 18:44:16

I am in the same position and can't quite decide either so am taking six months off to think. I am doing some free courses with the open university free site (Open learn). I intend to study for an MA in the Autumn.

Have you thought about career coaching to help you identify strengths & weaknesses? Have a look on the guardian careers website for further information.

lilacmamacat Tue 24-Feb-15 10:43:07

If you have any interest in arts, plants, design, planning, law, the environment - that kind of malarky - what about landscape architecture?

The Prospects site has a good overview of it here and the Landscape Institute had a dedicated site for people interested in working in this sector. It's not all garden design by any means, so don't be intimidated by design-y-ness if that's not what interests you.

Also, I thoroughly recommend FutureLearn which is an off-shoot of the Open University and has loads of free courses (from universities around the world) on a really wide range of subjects. These might give you a taste of something new that you want to follow up on career-wise.

Hope that helps.

Jellyboobs Sat 28-Feb-15 22:15:51

I'm there too! I keep dithering and thinking I've decided but then thinking I haven't.
I'd ring or visit a pharmacy and just ask. Say you want to train, see if they'd recommend their course, or give you any tips.

Westendgal Sat 28-Feb-15 22:31:45

A pharmacy technician is a protected title and involves going to college. It's different from being a pharmacy assistant. The General Pharmaceutical Council"s website is a good place to start. HTH

Laineya52 Sun 15-Mar-15 19:15:13

Hi

Have you considered doing something that doesn't requore formal re-training?

I have been lucky enough to be introduced to a company which sell health and wellbeing products which is entirely new for me but I have found it really easy to pick up and they have lots of training available online which means I can do it around kids activities etc.

Might be something like that out there for you? I am loving it and it has totally given me a new lease of life!!!

wobblebobblehat Sun 15-Mar-15 21:28:01

Loving all the spam on all of these threads, Lainey...

Laineya52 Mon 16-Mar-15 20:58:35

I'm sorry you think I'm spamming. I guess I'm just enthusiastic!

Bracken1 Mon 10-Sep-18 17:36:36

Hi I don't have any children but I'm a foster carer fotwo boys at present, one aged 12 and one aged 16. The 16 year old has just started work. I am looking for part time work to may be do at home. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you in advance. Sue

Bracken1 Tue 11-Sep-18 19:45:09

Can i ask how you got into the company which sell health and well being products it sounds interesting?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in