Talk

Advanced search

Approaching a company to suggest a new role

(9 Posts)
CheshireSplat Thu 29-Jan-15 00:21:19

Sorry if the title isn't clear - I wasn't sure how to summarise this. And also it's not really returning to work but this seemed the most appropriate place.

There is a company near me that I would love to work for. They don't (and haven't had) anyone who does what I do, but employ external advisors. I genuinely think that they could (obviously I don't know) be better off employing someone directly.

I've been mulling this over for about a year and have to grasp the nettle. I don't know anyone who works there. I think the best approach is to write to the MD but that's a really difficult letter to write. I feel on the back foot to start with - apologising for unsolicited approach. Can anyone advise me how to write this kind of letter? A letter rather than email would be better wouldn't it?

I'd be saying that I don't know but it could be beneficial to employ a person directly, with brief bullet points of the benefits that person could typically bring and that I'd be delighted to meet him or a colleague to talk about that organisation's particular circumstances to see if there would be a benefit.

Can anyone please help? I have my heart set on a job that doesn't exist (yet!). And if you guys think a letter would be appropriate but I hear nothing should I ring his PA a couple of weeks afterwards? Help!

2Retts Thu 29-Jan-15 00:42:52

Would you consider calling the PA and trying to arrange a telephone conversation or a meeting instead?

Is there any way you could get to where the MD or employees currently network?

I think you also need to formulate a firmer proposal about the benefits this new role would provide for the company's development.

For me a letter is too anonymous (and I'd hate to not know how it has been received for that length of time).

It's difficult to advise without knowing the size of the company and the nature of the work, but if the MD would be the direct boss if this role existed, that's what I would do.

Hope it works out for you CheshireSplat.

CheshireSplat Thu 29-Jan-15 05:23:37

Hi 2Retts. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I think a call to the PA would be a very good idea. I'll do that. I will also try to think of another "in". I agree a letter isn't the best approach - maybe that's why it is proving so hard to write.

rootypig Thu 29-Jan-15 05:26:19

Perhaps instead of writing a letter, you need to put together a proposal. With a brief cover letter saying, here's my proposal. Even with the same content, they'd look ever so different. One's about you, the other's about the business grin

Hoppinggreen Thu 29-Jan-15 13:26:59

Have you tried LinkedIn?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 29-Jan-15 14:01:42

Is the MD on social media? Could you somehow meet her/him at an event.

I accompanied a friend once to a networking do to stake out the MD. She got a job there (through a recruitment process, but am sure chatting to the MD helped)....

I'd try an in person/phone approach if you can but if not a well researched (look at the website/annual reports) proposal would be good.

Do it - you just never know!!

Good luck and keep us updated!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 29-Jan-15 14:02:17

I mean use social media to work out where the MD goes networking etc...

CheshireSplat Thu 29-Jan-15 14:31:28

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your replies.

You've inspired me to make a more direct approach than a letter, so this morning I've emailed a former colleague who may possibly know the FD or MD about meeting up, so I can sound him out. I've looked at the MD's LinkedIn page but didn't think about looking for events he goes to, I'll stalk in more detail. I'll also look for shared connections.

Thanks all, you're ace.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 29-Jan-15 15:47:31

Excellent plan!

It is not what you know....

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: