Talk

Advanced search

Help with career change

(7 Posts)
ohcluttergotme Thu 08-Jan-15 14:36:59

Hi, I'm due to return to a post in community nursing next month after 9 months maternity leave.

Would love to have a complete change of career as a bit fed up and disillusioned with nursing.

Looking for ideas for complete change. Any ideas, don't know where you start looking?

EdithWeston Thu 08-Jan-15 21:16:22

Start with you: What do you love doing? (not just work, anything!). Any particular reasons for being disillusioned? Do you want to do something similar, of are you up for a complete change?

Also: Is there is minimum income you need? What working hours can you do?

ohcluttergotme Fri 09-Jan-15 12:27:24

Thanks EdithWeston.
I'm on Mat leave at the moment and due to go back to my job next month.
I had been in post for a year before going off on mat leave and work in a busy, stressful job. I was concerned at how short staffed the area I worked in was and how this was dangerous to the existing staff on many levels.
I felt disillusioned when I heard colleagues with 20+ years of experience say they had never known things to be so bad and would not come into the job now.
It made me nervous by how much managers expected of you, were quick to criticise when things not right did not acknowledge how hard staff were working to cover the gaps due to staff shortages. It felt the ones left got more and more heaped on their already over stretched workload.

I like working to my own agenda. I like being with people but not rigidly and not being micro managed. I love arts and crafts and my dream would be to have a little shop selling baby and kids clothes, local artists work, unusual pieces of art, jewellery.

I currently earn £15 per hour pre tax and pay £5.50 per hour childcare for 22.5 hours per week.
I would need a job that paid enough to cover childcare and make it worthwhile working.

I've got three degrees but really just want a complete change.

For the last 9 years my role has always been to help others with their problems. I would love a job that wasn't always about other peoples problems.

Thanks for answering.

EdithWeston Fri 09-Jan-15 13:48:16

It's a sector I know much about, but my guess is that you could start by looking for a job in retail, getting as much experience as possible in all facets of management.

Not a hugely helpful comment, but it should bump the thread so perhaps it'll be spotted by someone with more detailed advice about what retail experience is most useful to prepare you to open up your own shop.

ohcluttergotme Fri 09-Jan-15 14:01:08

Thanks EdithWeston. I've looked at jobs in retail quite a few times but the wage is quite a bit less than what I'm currently on so not sure this would be an option?
I may be looking in the wrong places though, ice looked at Next, Boots, John Lewis.

LineRunner Fri 09-Jan-15 14:06:19

Are you creative yourself?

I would love to make and sell (online) but I am hopeless. I can write, though, a bit.

ohcluttergotme Fri 09-Jan-15 14:49:31

I am quite creative LineRunner when I find the time. Made all my own wedding stationary and loved the process.
I've got an idea in my head of a children's book that I've had since my eldest daughter was little but never done anything with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now