Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your kills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Anyone else not give two hoots about work after first child?

(11 Posts)
LackingCommonSense Tue 06-Jan-15 19:25:07

I've been back at work almost a year and I keep hoping I'll a) get back to my previous 'on-the-ball-ness' and b) care about my job again.

I really feel like I'd rather have a job I can turn up to, do mindlessly and leave with time to put DS to bed. Instead I have far too many frustrations and the commute means I struggle to fit everything into my day.

Anyone else feel like this after having kids? I just can't be arsed! Unfortunately, being a SAHM isn't an option financially and tbh I think I'd miss working...eventually!

Spinaroo Tue 06-Jan-15 19:32:45

Yes, I think there is a sense of that with many people- you just see things from a different perspective now. I also don't think there's anything wrong with it- there will be room in all places of employment for movers n shakers( which you may have been before) , then people who just come and do their job ( and I'm sure you are doing it well- it's just not as consuming or defining as it used to be). There may well be a time Inge future when the balance shifts again- probably when you are less involved with young children. But you are also right to think you may miss it- on extended mat leave with my third child I actually felt a real desire to wear a work suit and some lippy again instead of skinning in jeans smile

Spinaroo Tue 06-Jan-15 19:33:39

I was slobbing- not skinning smile

LackingCommonSense Tue 06-Jan-15 21:43:30

I'm glad it's not just me! I'm just coasting at the moment tbh..I really wish I enjoyed it more, and I'm looking forward to that day coming!

m0therofdragons Mon 12-Jan-15 13:29:49

Dd1 is 7 and dtds are 3, a job has come up that puts me back on the career path and I desperately want it. For 5 years I've done the easy pt job and now I wasn't to be recognised as ambitious again. Came back unexpectedly out of the blue but I do think part of that is right job, right pay. Now I probably won't get it and my confidence will nose dive!

Ajmtc Mon 12-Jan-15 14:05:23

I think it does depend on the job, but undoubtedly kids can change your drive and ambition, sometimes it is that this moves to something else. One of my good friends realised that the corporate world of PR was no longer for her and now runs her own cake business. My priorities have altered too and I realised I want to be my own boss and so have set up my own business, part time to start with alongside my corporate job (dropped a day a week out of this too) but as that builds I will be able to focus fully on my own business. 10 years ago I would never have imagined I would do that smile

LackingCommonSense Tue 13-Jan-15 10:33:14

I wish I was entrepreneurial enough to start my own business. It sounds great!

I have it fairly cushty here would take a lot for me to leave. They should allow new mums to take a career pause for a couple of years in different department!

Ajmtc Wed 14-Jan-15 15:24:48

I think you would surprise yourself, i never thought I could do it too but I love it and already business is starting to build so I am really excited about the future. Would be happy to share details with you if interested, just message me and let me know smile

sleepybee Sun 18-Jan-15 16:03:47

I already feel like this & I'm only pregnant with my first child! I feel like the pregnancy/impending life change is bigger than work. I used to be so proactive & was the one to volunteer for extra tasks or overtime now I feel like I really don't care & currently on the count down to my mat leave smile

bakingaddict Sun 18-Jan-15 16:25:22

I hear exactly what you are saying. I stayed in my previous job for 5 years even though I hated it because I had hours to suit with the children. Before kids I was reasonably ambitious and while my priorities did change after the kids I now regret not being a bit more focused and career driven enough to get out of my awful workplace but I didn't because it would have meant going FT.

My 2 are 4 and 7 and now i'm trying to get back on track with my career but feel lacking in confidence and self-esteem too.

33goingon64 Sun 18-Jan-15 16:39:17

Yes I felt like this. I gave up my job, volunteered for a while and then took on freelance work I can do from home while DS is at nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now