Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Return to Nursing Practice for Jan '15

(7 Posts)
OrangeHedgehog123 Mon 29-Dec-14 19:28:50

Hi,
I know there are several other threads about RtP Nursing but none are very current. I'm starting a RtP course in 2 weeks time and just wondered if anyone could share insight/experiences.
Thanks

Poseypops Mon 29-Dec-14 19:35:31

I'd love to know what this involves. Are you being paid for your RTP? How long will it take?

OrangeHedgehog123 Wed 07-Jan-15 11:45:53

Hi sorry for delay new to site and wrongly assumed I'd get notified if someone had replied to my post -oops!
No I'm not paid I have to work 15hrs per week (basically 2 days) on a ward placement for 12 weeks; and complete 6 university study days. I'm expected to do 2 days a week self directed study as well. So all being well I start on Monday and should complete at Easter!!
Although I also work on the 'bank' for financial reasons.

aliceduckett Mon 12-Jan-15 17:40:29

Hope the first day went ok! I'd like to do a RTP course - they've told me I need to do 3 - 6 months as a healhcare assistant because I've been out for so long (9years) Was this your experience? Or anyone else's on the course? Did you have to find your own climical placement?

OrangeHedgehog123 Sat 17-Jan-15 11:53:01

Hi,
It's been a hectic week with university study, but also had my induction and manual handling cancelled twice. Which I was also not informed of, so I've had 2 wasted journeys into the hospital - not impressed!
I have been out of 'general ward' environment for almost 20 years and didn't have to do anything before the course. Also I had my clinical placement organised for me (orthopaedics).

aliceduckett Sat 17-Jan-15 21:25:41

Thanks so much for writing back! I'm just in the process of filling out the application and also trying to find out as much as I can about NHS changes so the I don't have to work as a HCA Good luck with the course - I hope the lack of organisation is just a temporary blip... Which hospital/university are you at?

OrangeHedgehog123 Sun 18-Jan-15 18:06:06

Hi
I'm studying at bournemouth uni and doing my placement at royal bournemouth hospital, although the other 12 on the course have placements elsewhere - some are also in learning disabilities. The placements are as diverse as small cottage hospital, community and an acute admission mental health unit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: