Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

SAHM mom returning to work - Help with CV

(13 Posts)
MEgirl Mon 15-Dec-14 10:26:56

Are there any resources/agencies/organisations out there that help long term SAHMs with putting together CVs?

ArsenicStew Mon 15-Dec-14 10:28:10

What specific problems are you having?

ArsenicStew Mon 15-Dec-14 10:30:18

Use a skills-based CV, for a start, so that the chronology recedes into the background;

https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/maturecv.htm

www.slideshare.net/uolssds/example-skills-based-cv

MEgirl Mon 15-Dec-14 11:04:18

I've been a SAHM mum for 15 years. At the time I went on ML I was working as an IT Trainer for an Insurance Brokers. I'm just not sure where to start. How do I account for the time at home, how do I market myself? We spent 3 years overseas with DHs job. How does that fit in to the CV. Do I put it on or give that sort of info at an interview should I get one? How do I explain why I haven't returned to work up until now. Are employers even allowed to ask?

I would like to go back in to IT but am very aware of the massive changes in technology and my lack of current experience.

I have considered trying to get some temp office work just to get my toe back in to the job market but don't yet know if that is a feasible plan. A friend who has worked as a PA in London for years can't find a job. I don't know if that is because there is no work or if she is being picky.

I would be happy to work for a lower salary as I really just want to find a job. Seeing as we've lived on DHs salary for the last 15 years this isn't only about income but about me finding a place for myself as well.

Aresenic thanks for those links, they are very helpful.

I have lots going round in my head at the moment. I'm not even sure if this is currently the right time to start looking for a job. DTs have GCSEs in May/June and are very stressed. I think that I need to start planning and working on this now even if I don't start looking for work until after their exams. I have been available for the kids all of these years so it doesn't seem fair to start a job at just now as it would upset the status quo at the wrong time. My feeling is that I could do the odd day here and there but not full time until next September. Am I crazy to plan for that far ahead.

ArsenicStew Mon 15-Dec-14 11:15:32

Ok, first of all don't be apologetic about the time at home - it will come across - in the CV, in your body language, in your account of yourself. Be proud and upfront about the important thing you've been doing with your time (where relevant) but shift the main focus to the things that make you employable (including some of the skills and experience gained during your SAHM years, where applicable).

Not at all mad to plan now for a September relaunch, in fact it might be the best idea. If you want to go back to IT, you need a skills update, right? Maybe a course? And perhaps you could volunteer for a bit too? Those two things could form part of your prep.

I've twice had periods at home (plus weird career moves to accommodate domestic demands), and that is roughly what I did when I needed to go back.

MEgirl Mon 15-Dec-14 11:20:51

Thanks Arsenic, that's very encouraging. I'm not sure what sort of skills update I need. The work I did was failry basic. Training in-house staff in MS email (prior to Outlook), MS Word and very basic Excel. I was also the MS support person. I developed quite a few templates for the company as well.

Another problem that I have is that I was never given a reference by my old boss. I asked several times but it was never sent. How much of a problem is that likely to be after being at home (sorry, out of paid employment) for so long?

ArsenicStew Mon 15-Dec-14 11:32:46

Re skills update you could do a refresher microsoft course? Even if you've kept up to date, it would certify that knowledge and reassure employers.

You don't tend to need written, in your hand, references these days - just the name and contact details to provide. An additional reference, tied to more recent (voluntary?) experience, might be helpful too.

ArsenicStew Mon 15-Dec-14 11:37:34

People do understand about career breaks (although under 30s can look a bit blank wink) so try not worry.

If you really don't need an IT course, consider a course of some other kind. It will be another recent entry on your CV and another reference.

HeeHiles Mon 15-Dec-14 11:37:48

The reference is totally irrelevant now - so don't worry about it. You need to start preparing yourself for work by updating your skills and retraining in to something else. Are you in the UK? there are loads of people out there who can advise you - The Government have a website or used to, was it Learn Direct? I need to come off here now but can get some links for you later.

I would have a Personal Profile - Stating you been raising your family and living abroad running a household and organising moves - think about all the things you have achieved in the past 15 years.

Add to that any work experience you can get, ask friends if they can help you, get them to ask at their workplaces etc.

HeeHiles Mon 15-Dec-14 11:39:53

Look at Growth Industries - and get a job in one of them! App developers are big right now! Good luck!

MEgirl Mon 15-Dec-14 12:37:09

Thanks everyone. I've done some volunteering and studying so I'll start by making a list and will then work on a CV.

HeeHiles Wed 17-Dec-14 10:35:17

If you want me to take a look at your CV PM me and I'll send you my email address

Nolim Tue 06-Jan-15 09:28:25

Also dont forget to highlight your transferable skills: you can multitask, perform under preasure and remain calm even in moments of crisis smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now