Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Temp Work Queries

(4 Posts)
toni74 Thu 11-Dec-14 10:53:11

Hello

I have interview (my first in years aswell...arrhhh! (but good arrhhh!) for a temp (3 months) full time job working 9-5.

I have never done temp work, so I have a couple of questions I hope I can ask on here (of others) and not embarrass myself in an interview wink...

If the job is 9-5, am I likely to be paid for 8 hours or 7 hours
"Hours are 9-5 with an hour for lunch"
How much notice is usually given for either cancelling the contract of extending it?
How do I spot a zero hours contract?
Would I be entitled to any annual leave?
When your paid by the hour (and I assume you submit timesheets) do you put 9-5 or extra hours if you do them?

Anything else I should be aware of...if its not obvious I am excited but don't want to be taken for a fool...if i end working longer hours than stated...

tyia xxx

iamthenewgirl Thu 11-Dec-14 19:31:44

Answers...

If the job is 9-5, am I likely to be paid for 8 hours or 7 hours
"Hours are 9-5 with an hour for lunch"
You'll be paid for the hours you work - 7 hours

How much notice is usually given for either cancelling the contract of extending it?
Depends on the agency/employer. They may say they need you for a set amount of time (i.e. 2 weeks) or it may be a rolling contract. Either way, I would say it is normally a week on either side (to be fair).

How do I spot a zero hours contract?
Temp work generally isn't zero hours. You will get a booking for a set amount of time or rolling and they will tell you how many hours to work a week (i.e. 37.5). Zero hours are more normal in care work. We'll make you hang around in the morning until we tell you whether there is any work type bollocks...

Would I be entitled to any annual leave?
Yes, all temps accrue holiday pay now. You need to clarify this with the company employing you as it can be complicated.

When your paid by the hour (and I assume you submit timesheets) do you put 9-5 or extra hours if you do them?
You put in the hours that you work that day. They are paying you by the hour.

toni74 Fri 12-Dec-14 14:09:04

Thankyou iamthenewgirl all sorted now

Scrumbled Wed 17-Dec-14 21:52:12

Second the above. Good luck, I used to temp and it's a great way to get back into work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now