Talk

Advanced search

how do u know ur making the right decision!??

(5 Posts)
daisydee43 Wed 26-Nov-14 07:19:36

hi

im nearly 30 but had more jobs than i can count. every decision i have made so far in my career is wrong and im scared history will repeat. currently in job i hate which last year i qualified in as a career change!! now thinking of going back to original career and doing volunteer work to see if i like it as never really worked in office and my original career would be that. i hope this will help me decide.

had so many jobs in different industries - care, retail, horticulture, self employed and hated all.

im now going back to my degree in publicity and hope to god its right. i know it will be better paid and not so physically demanding which at 5months pg sounds amazing. but im scared that in 3 years ill regret this decision pls help. done careers advisor which was useless smile

allypally999 Wed 26-Nov-14 15:36:31

volunteering is a good idea, so is temping until you decide what you fancy

I never decided what I wanted, just ended up in most of my jobs so good luck!

iamthenewgirl Wed 26-Nov-14 23:30:28

You don't!

Write a list with all the things you liked and disliked and see where the patterns lie. Why have you left jobs?

Must admit, I have the same problem but have followed a career of sorts. I think my expectations are always too high!

basildonbond Thu 27-Nov-14 17:17:06

I think you need to be realistic about how attractive you're going to be right at the moment to a new employer. If you're 5 months pregnant and have no track record in publicity since your degree there's not really much incentive for an employer to take you on.

I think you'd be better off putting the next few months to good use by working out what you really want out of a job - hours, pay, type of work etc - and then drawing up a realistic plan of how to get there

daisydee43 Thu 27-Nov-14 20:36:55

hi basil
yeh not looking for job right now am hoping to look towards end of maternity leave. hopefully will be volunteering in publicity role in office few hrs a week will give me some newer expr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now