Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Returning to work full time - guilty feelings for my boys :-(

(3 Posts)
Middilytink Thu 20-Nov-14 09:34:12

Hi all, just looking for other mums experiences really, I am currently part time nurse, and have been offered a secondment opportunity for 6 months- working full time in a fab area of interest. This is something I have always wanted to do.
My kids are 4 (in school) and 1...
I have accepted the job although I feel so sad that I will be giving up some days off in the week to do the school runs, and be there for the kids throughout the days In the week. Ultimately the job will be ideal when my lil one is in school!! But untill then I'd have to juggle this....
I'm feeling guilty for wanting to progress in my career, others are amazed with my want to increase my hours when my children are so young,
Anyone have any advice??

3nationsfamily Thu 20-Nov-14 09:41:36

Go for it! You will be a better Mum if you are fulfilled in yourself. I had my two DCs in the days when maternity leave was only six months and then went back full time. They both were in nursery /after school club. It gave them great confidence and independence as well as good social skills learning to share with others and do group activities. They are now 13 and 15 and lovely well behaved, high achieving, sociable and happy young people and we have a great relationship. I have progressed up the career ladder and earn enough to support their extra curricular activities, great family holidays and funding them through University. My daughter has a role model of working motherhood which will ensure she pursues her ambitions to the full extent.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Thu 20-Nov-14 09:54:19

Go for it. You have nothing to feel guilty about. You are providing a secure financial future for them, role modelling a work ethic AND you are a nurse, contributing to society. That is amazing.

Motherhood is a marathon not a sprint and it will be so much better that you keep up with your career and skills rather than leave the workplace and have to return at a lower level on less money just as your kids are at school age and becoming very expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now