Talk

Advanced search

one hour long excel test at interview

(5 Posts)
chaosmonkey Thu 20-Nov-14 09:19:24

Any hints and tips on what to revise? I use excel all the time, but mainly for basic spreadsheet stuff. Have checked vlookup and pivot tables, but pivot tables are so easy on excel 2013 - what if they ask me do to it on an older version where it's more actual coding type stuff? Tis for a finance type job...

Interview is on Monday...

TIA

OfflineFor40Years Thu 20-Nov-14 16:56:05

Check you're comfortable with IF, AND, OR formulas. And sumif, counta etc.
I think there'll probably be some formatting and sorting/filtering too in which case the subtotal formulas might be handy.
If you use excel a lot I'm sure the test will be a doddle grin

chaosmonkey Fri 21-Nov-14 09:24:13

Thank you! Will spend at least some of today making sure I can do that!

Am not so sure about it being a doddle, because I basically use Excel as a calculator, not a clever spreadsheet!

Elysianfields Fri 21-Nov-14 09:28:33

I think a quick call to the HR department to check the version of excel they use would be acceptable. that way you can focus on the task not the software.

Good luck!

chaosmonkey Fri 21-Nov-14 13:20:49

Very good point fields - I have done so and now know that I will be using 2013 - phew!

Right. Just a quick panic about hair/shoes/do i fit into my interview suit and a quick read around the subject and reread of my application form, and I'm sorted!

Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now