Talk

Advanced search

Second Interview

(7 Posts)
ScarletButterfly Thu 20-Nov-14 09:06:36

I recently decided to return to work after 5 years split between home and study, with only a couple of voluntary placements in the middle. I applied for a local job in the engineering industry (in a role involving project management, rather than actual engineering). Its a job I desperately want. I would be taking a pay cut from what I was previously on (it is a completely new industry for me, and after 5 years out of work, it is kind of expected) and I had my interview yesterday. I was told I would be contacted on Friday, and second interviews were to be next week.

However, I had a phone call yesterday asking me to go back on Friday morning for an interview with the MD (small company). I asked what format the interview would take and the Office manager, who conducted the first interview, said it would be much of the same, with the MD simply telling me more about the specific industry they are in.

So, it all sounds quite promising so far. However, I have no idea what to expect. It's been years since my last job interview. I researched the company before my first interview, but as they're quite a young company there isn't much out there, and their website isn't as comprehensive as some. I feel really unprepared! And as they've stepped the interview up to tomorrow, I no longer have until next week to figure it out.

If anyone has any advice (or calming words), or personal experiences of second interviews, please come share to make me feel better!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 20-Nov-14 14:00:39

Well, if the MD is giving up their time to see you, then I would suggest you have a good chance of getting the job! Well done.

Try thinking about it from his/her point of view. What do they want to know about you? That you are a good and qualifed worker. That you are interested in the co and that you will fit. How can you demonstrate that through what you say?

I'd prepare to talk about your experience (so rehearse a 5- 10 mim pitch about you/what you have done) and have some questions ready.

Don't assume he/she will be briefed on you.

And try to relax. Remember you are checking them out too.

Good luck. Let us know how it went.

Bowchickawowow Sun 23-Nov-14 10:21:13

How did it go?

ScarletButterfly Sun 23-Nov-14 19:09:10

Seemed to go okay! He was lovely. I'm now sat biting my nails in anticipation, he promised me a call back tomorrow to let me know whether I got it or not.

Bowchickawowow Mon 24-Nov-14 14:05:47

It's a really good sign that they brought you in sooner than expected, glad it went well - fingers crossed!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 26-Nov-14 07:51:11

How did it go OP?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 26-Nov-14 07:51:37

Sorry meant, have you heard after the 2nd int?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now