Talk

Advanced search

Can I join a Union?

(5 Posts)
MyLadyAnita Mon 17-Nov-14 13:49:52

I have changed career from nursing to working in an office in a call centre. It is a bit of a culture shock with targets, monitored calls, and coaching where your call times (and loo breaks!) are discussed.

Although it is a good atmosphere it is still a culture shock so until I feel more settled I wondered if it might be a good idea to join a Union. Trouble is nothing was said about any unions in training nor on the floor so I don't really want to ask my line manager in case being a union member is a big no no where I work. It shouldn't be but there is absolutely no information in the staff room or rest rooms. I am trying to fit in so don't want to rock the boat so I would keep my membership to myself but would just feel a bit more supported whilst I find my feet.

Does any one know which union would be best for call centre staff.

Boomtownsurprise Mon 17-Nov-14 13:52:24

Is there one?

I'd have said its private sector. Don't get luxuries like unions now! Just same rights as rest of us.

Could be one tbf. Any professional mags in office will have details.

SwedishEdith Mon 17-Nov-14 13:56:37

Just googled - the Communication Workers' Union?

MyLadyAnita Tue 18-Nov-14 15:55:43

Thanks all for your help. I joined Unison today. It was really easy and they were very helpful on the phone. I was surprised (pleasantly!) how reasonable it was - just a few £'s per month.

It will help with confidence whilst I try out my new skills in my new job!

Lunastarfish Tue 18-Nov-14 16:00:48

I was going to say, check your contract of employment because if any union has collecive bargaining rights it will say which union it is. In general, you are better off joining the union who has collective bargaining rights. But, if there is no recognised union, then join a union for that specific industy or a large general union.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now