Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else want more?

(13 Posts)
smiales01 Sat 15-Nov-14 22:13:35

I'm looking to restart work, son is 16 months and we really need the money. My problem is that I cannot bear to go back to an admin/office as they bireme to tears and there is no future.

I don't want to work part time, have a boring house, drive a golf, do the chores and have been nothing. 2.4 stereotype scares me yet that's the path I'm on.

I dread having a boss, really want to be self employed but I feel I have sod all to offer. I'm 31, dropped out of uni so no degree, never got far in work as I just didn't care about the roles.

I need a different life!

iamthenewgirl Sun 16-Nov-14 00:40:57

Ha ha! I could have written that post. Agree that admin is a dead end ghetto.

You really need to be driven and disciplined to be self employed. Is that you?

Not sure what to suggest but watching with interest...

smiales01 Sun 16-Nov-14 10:08:01

I think it must be so much easier if that life is enough for you.

LittleBearPad Sun 16-Nov-14 10:11:11

What DO you want to do? It's possible to avoid the picture you're painting but you need to know what you want (not just what you don't) and be prepared to work for it

smiales01 Sun 16-Nov-14 12:45:51

Ha littlebear that is the question. I suppose if I'd known that I wouldn't be falling into this mundane trap.

Deep down the only thing that really interests me is to do with property but where to go from there I've no idea. Also how to change things with no money?

Doesn't help that I'm constantly exhausted without a minute to myself to just think.

FabULouse Sun 16-Nov-14 12:47:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

smiales01 Sun 16-Nov-14 13:15:47

Fabulous - I did work in an estate agents years ago when I was 18 but I'm not sure it's the area I want to go back to. Mainly because I don't think they warrant their fees!

Interior design or architect would be more up my street. Funny you say about the decluttering, I spent ages researching starting up my own business but lost all confidence and stopped thinking about it.

ajandjjmum Sun 16-Nov-14 13:32:42

Sadly things don't land on a plate for most of us, and we have to go through the boring jobs to eventually arrive (if we're lucky) at a place - careerwise -that we're happy with. If not, at least we can afford to put food on the table and a roof over our heads.

I'd say that loads of people would give anything to be 'Mrs. Average' driving off to their part-time job in a Golf.

If your house is boring, I wouldn't suggest you think any further about interiors........

specialmagiclady Sun 16-Nov-14 14:03:25

What do you think an estate agent would have to do to merit their fees? Could you make a business out of being the kind of estate agent that does merit their fees?

Buddy80 Sun 16-Nov-14 14:14:04

Have you thought of looking at jobs which may be in demand in the future?

There are a lot of articles about, but one here Jobs of the Future

I know this may not help for now, but maybe give you some ideas to work towards smile

WaitingForMe Sun 16-Nov-14 14:16:40

My estate agent doesn't have a high street shop. They are two lads working from home, advertising online and doing viewings. You could do something like that.

smiales01 Sun 16-Nov-14 14:48:38

Things don't land on a plate for many people at all, some get very lucky but that's not my concern. The majority work hard to get what they want.

I'm not criticising people for being content with what I've described, on the contrary I think they are lucky in a lot of ways as they aren't tormenting themselves like I do!

I think you have misunderstood what I've described, my house isn't dull because of what's in it, it's just not enough for me. It's just an average place, I've made it nice but it's not my dream.

Yes lots would be happy with my life, does that mean I have to be?

Buddy80 Sun 16-Nov-14 15:05:29

What about training to be a surveyor or planner? Even though you left university the first time, you may still be able to get funding and grants to try something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now