Talk

Advanced search

Will i be entitled to Maternity Allowance

(3 Posts)
Suzy4321 Mon 10-Nov-14 15:44:18

Hi, i'm confused i am currently working full time and expecting our first baby due in May. So i 13 weeks gone. I work very far from where i live and currently travel to and from work with my husband. However my husband is getting a more local employment which will mean i will need to give up work in the next month or so, as i am unable to commute myself. I understand i will curently get SMP however if i leave work would i be entitled to Maternity Allowance. All i keep reading is you might be entitled. I have worked for 4 years in the same firm and would be around 18 weeks pregnant when i need to leave. Can anyone help me? I am not sure if i should say that my husband can;t take new job until after i go on maternity leave *(however there may not be a job then). Or to go for it now.

KatoPotato Mon 10-Nov-14 15:47:26

As long as you have earned over the threshold then you should get it! I started a new job when I was pg so not entitled to the company SMP, so I applied for MA, I just had to provide wage slips from my last job.

congrats

Chunderella Wed 12-Nov-14 09:34:17

You need to have worked for at least 26 of the 66 weeks before your due date. You also need to have earned at least £30 a week for 13 of those weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility

So work out what the 66 week period before your due date is, and count how many of those you've worked. If you're 13 weeks gone, you're due in about May 2015, so your 66 week period will have started some time in February 2014 I think. If you've been working full time between then and now, with no gaps, you should meet the weeks requirement and I assume if you have worked FT you earned more than £30 per week. Check, but based on what you're saying I think the answer is yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now