Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me it's normal to have a mushy brain!!

(3 Posts)
MrsBish Thu 06-Nov-14 13:48:53

I stopped working 8 years ago when my eldest was born. I have childminded for the past three years to earn some cash, but I knew this was not a long term career for me. In April I returned to office work where I have slowly built up hours and am now working three days a week.

I really enjoy the work, lots of variety, but I am becoming increasingly frustrated at how scatty and forgetful I am. BK (Before Kids!) I was an Office Manager within an IT department and was capable of 'spinning' many plates at once. I really thought I'd be capable of this again! I am not!

I forget stuff, I do things wrong. I have to as much communication as possible via email, so that there's a record of what was said, otherwise I forget. I'm left feeling rather stupid.

Please give me some words of comfort. How can I get better? I realise that BK, I lived and breathed work, so I knew everything that was going on. Part time seems quite difficult, it always takes me a little while in the morning to remember what I was doing the last time I was in!

Has anyone else struggled like this?!

Alixion Thu 06-Nov-14 21:41:05

I could have written this! I've been back for 2 months after ML returning to a new post at the same company and I feel like I'm going in slow motion! Not compared to anyone else but compared to myself BK!!

I too try to avoid phone calls as I have a complete blank if I don't write things down straight away.... sometimes my notes don't even make sense.... The shame!!!

Hopefully someone will come along soon with tips!!

Littlef00t Sat 22-Nov-14 21:08:53

Before you go at the end of each day give yourself 5 mins to write a to do list or a summary of what's going on for the next morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now