Talk

Advanced search

Job Interviews and Children

(6 Posts)
toni74 Thu 06-Nov-14 09:02:14

Can anyone clarify in job interviews what are legitimate questions you might be asked/could be asked, about children and childcare.

I've been applying for jobs and noticed on one application I was asked my marital status and the number of children I had in different age brackets (it was a generic application form so anyone completing it would have to answer the same questions).

But now I'm just wondering should I be invited to interview what can a future employer about this...

Purplerunner Thu 06-Nov-14 09:07:48

I am not an expert but used to be involved in graduate recruitment. As far as I am aware they cannot ask anything about children or childcare. Or marital status ! Are you sure this would be a good company to work for?

toni74 Thu 06-Nov-14 09:22:07

The application form was for a large (well known) employer. and the questions came under equal opportunity section!

Petallic Thu 06-Nov-14 11:38:47

If it's under the equal opps section then it's not supposed to be used as part of the recruitment process and if you are applying for a large organisation then the hiring manager / person short listing probably won't even see your answers. Normally the equal ops questions are optional or there is a "prefer not to say" box you can tick.

lljkk Thu 06-Nov-14 11:44:11

That Eq-Op form should be separate from application form & should be submitted to a completely different group within the firm, separate from the interview panel. Although I still find the questions unusual (I have been job hunting recently).

The most relevant item they can or should ask you, OP, is to say "These are the hours we need someone to work. Is that a problem for you?" And you say yes or no or what you would like instead; you don't have to explain why, either.

toni74 Thu 06-Nov-14 19:18:31

Thankyou for the feedback. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now