Talk

Advanced search

Childcare for school holidays (just been offered a job) ....help please :)

(11 Posts)
neverenoughwine Wed 05-Nov-14 14:19:07

Hi All,

Just in need of tips / advice.

I am looking for a job and have just been offered one full time. I have always worked up until my partner had a mental health breakdown and I became his carer. Anyway - to cut a long story short after 3 tough years I am now a single mum with 2 children of school age and currently on JSA.

I have been offered a job and want and need to work, but I'm in a new area and have no idea what I do about school holidays (my ex ran his own business and his family used to help out in school hols before?)

Do childminders accept out of term childcare only? My children are 5 and 10?

Or any other ideas?

Many Thanks

Beccy

ElectricalBanana Wed 05-Nov-14 14:29:22

I do holiday only care as well as term time only. I like the mix and I don't charge retainers. I also do a PAYG for a slightly high hourly rate. You book your hours the week before and those are all you pay for ( so if gran comes to visit you aren't paying me when she wants to look after them)

vdbfamily Wed 05-Nov-14 14:48:19

In our area there are several holiday clubs that run from 8.80am -6pm. The local leisure centre has one and there are a couple running in local schools.

redskybynight Wed 05-Nov-14 18:48:22

WE use holiday clubs (at schools and leisure centres).

Also do "child swapping" i.e. we agree to take a friend's children for the day so they can work, they then return the favour at a later date.

BikeRunSki Wed 05-Nov-14 18:52:48

I do a combination of annual leave and holiday club. All family too far away to be practical for childcare.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 08-Nov-14 22:01:32

There will hopefully be holiday clubs in the area. Ask around at school?

You could also do 'childcare swaps', where you take holiday and have your DC and a friend each and then their parents return the favour - saves you money.

Can their Dad have them for some of the time if he is well enough?

Congrats on the role. Sounds like a tough few years, hopefully things are on the up now.

Applejack2 Sun 09-Nov-14 06:52:38

My childminder offers school holiday care only. You could also use holiday clubs.

Rinkydinkypink Sun 09-Nov-14 06:56:03

Childminders will cover
Holiday clubs
Nursery clubs
Play dates
Take some annual leave
If you can get family help take it!

Your local council may have a list of holiday club providers.

Sirzy Sun 09-Nov-14 07:02:52

We have a local company who do holiday clubs for all the local schools. I would talk to the school and some other parents to see what is available locally

dancingwitch Sun 09-Nov-14 07:12:27

Students back from Uni for the holidays may be another option.
Is your 5yo in reception or in Yr 1? Most of our local holiday clubs don't take children until they have started yr 1.

bellbottomedtear Sun 09-Nov-14 08:52:11

Hi
I am a childminder that would do this I do take some time of during holidays but have friends who could help you or it may work with your annual leave I am in richmond area

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now