Talk

Advanced search

Your best returning to work tips...

(9 Posts)
BirdhouseInYourSoul Wed 29-Oct-14 15:08:00

After 5 years as a sahm I am going back to work full time.

I got offered the job today and start next week so don't have a lot of time to prepare.

Any tips for organising the house/kids/myself?

I'm a lone parent to 2 dc - one teenager and one in infants.

The euphoria of getting the job is slowly being replaced with nerves thlgrin

m0therofdragons Wed 29-Oct-14 15:13:42

Snap. I've been working but just a few hours a week from home doing something I could do in my sleep but in 3 weeks I start a proper job that is similar to my pre children career! Eeek! I have a 6yo and 2 3yos. I have to go in for 2 hours next week to get briefed. I'm terrified my mummy side will come out and I won't be taken seriously - my new manager called to offer me the job and my twins were properly screaming at each other in the back ground! blush

m0therofdragons Wed 29-Oct-14 15:14:22

Congratulations Btw grin

MillionPramMiles Wed 29-Oct-14 15:24:13

Get a cleaner if you can
Online food shopping for delivery
Put laundry on timer in the morning so its ready to hang dry when you get back
Accept you might not be cooking from scratch as much
If using after school childcare can they provide a meal?
Get the teenager to help out. Bribe if necessary.

Don't underestimate how much you get done when you're at home. Arranging for repairs/deliveries, visits to the bank, shops, doctors etc are so much harder if you're out of the house 10 hours a day, 5 days a week.

BirdhouseInYourSoul Wed 29-Oct-14 16:15:27

I would love a cleaner but not sure my wages will stretch to that sadly smile

I do plan on bribing the teenager with proper pocket money. We will be splitting some of the jobs between us all I think. Much more of a team effort going forward.

Online shopping - good idea. I usually go to a couple of different supermarkets a week to bargain hunt and get out f the house but I think that will have to stop.

Do people make their lunches the night before? I've never had to make them for myself before and the kids have hot lunches.

Good idea about the washing too. I'll make sure I sort that before I go to bed.

Unfortunately I am away this weekend otherwise I would load up the freezer.

By some stroke of luck I went on a major decluttering session this week so house wise, this has come as perfect timing really.

m0therofdragons My two were giggling over something when I was on the phone. I am worried about being back in an office environment too. 'm sure you'll do fine though!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 29-Oct-14 18:38:56

Congrats!

I'd second online shopping along with meal planning - you condense all the thinking & planning into one night.

Have a family planner where you write the meals/other stuff. I like Organised Mum but any weekly planner will do. Or set up a family google calendar etc.

I bought the annual delivery pass from Sains which means my delivery fee (when I spend over £40) is free so I am not worrying about when it is delivered - they used to charge more for certain slots.

Do as much as you can at the weekend/evenings to reduce stress.

Give jobs to the kids.

Put a check list on the wall of things that need doing.

Set washing timer to finish for when you get back, so it doesn't hang about in the machine all day.

Do a load a day and hang it out to dry (mainly indoors on the dryer).

Send presents by anyone that will giftwrap, so you don't need to wrap and send. Sadly Amazon (as they are tax dodgers and the end of the hifh st etc) seem to be the best option but Joh Lewis will put in a free gift message.

Try to plan ahead with gifts, so you can handover when you next see x even if bday is 3 weeks time as then it is 'done'.

When I forget to post a card I usually send an emergency Moonpig card directly to recipent. They despatch really quickly.

DH and I have a weekly family meeting to run through dates/things thar week. Can you do that with your kids? Finish with something fun to encourage them?

Download key shop apps so you can do a quick purchase on the go. I have bought pants and wellies (for DS) on the ebay app, tooks a couple of mins.

Have a to-do list.

If you get a lunch break use it for admin.

HTH

m0therofdragons Wed 29-Oct-14 19:18:17

I have the asda app so my shopping takes 10 minutes so I'll do it in my lunch break.

I also have a slow cooker so can shove mince in in the morning with a tin of tomatoes and just cook pasta when I get home.

I'll make lunch the night before I think. Or take cuppasoup

BirdhouseInYourSoul Wed 29-Oct-14 20:19:37

Some great tips thank you MrsMargo

It all feels quite daunting but I am excited too.

Fridayschild Sun 02-Nov-14 07:40:51

Get everything ready for the day the night before - including packed lunches. This means if there is some catastrophe in the morning re forgotten homework, urgent need to show up at school dressed as a squirrel etc, you do not need to think about what you are going to wear or whether everything is in your handbag.

Plan nice packed lunches as you would the rest of your meals if you are taking them. By Friday I always seem to be eating cheese sandwiches on slightly stale bread with the last apple! Those are the days I am most likely to decide I am "too busy" to make a packed lunch and "need" to go to Pret a Manger instead.... Or get into the habit of at least taking your apple/ packet of crisps / everything but the sandwich with you so you are only buying a sandwich and not everything else.

Another vote for on line grocery delivery and planning ahead with gifts and birthday cards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now