Talk

Advanced search

changing interview time - WWYD?

(16 Posts)
Sendintheshiraz Tue 16-Sep-14 22:29:32

A quick one for you all - got an e mail tonight saying I have an interview for my dream job next week- there's just one snag- interview is at 10am, and I will not get there in time as I will have to get my little one to mum/friend to babysit after dropping my big one at school at 9.

So WWYD, I am thinking if replying in the morning, accepting the interview but requesting a later time saying something along the lines of "my current child care arrangements mean I cannot make 10am" is this really lame though, will it put them off?

Am currently on mat leave with no nursery etc in place for the baby, obviously this will change should I get the job, but how can I convey this without rambling on just like I am now

Thanks in advance smile

Redcoats Tue 16-Sep-14 22:41:43

Is there absolutely no way you can get there in time? I was asked for interview with one working days notice. I couldnt take time off work. The interviewer was only available on that particular day so I couldn't go.
If its something you really want I'd move heaven and earth to get there.

reddaisy Tue 16-Sep-14 22:44:09

What Redcoats said, surely someone can help you out as a one off? It wouldn't make the best first impression and they may think you will have childcare issues if they offer you the job even if that won't be the case.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 16-Sep-14 22:59:11

I wouldn't 'advertise' the fact you have children if you don't have to.

I agree with the other posters. Do what you can to go, or if you need to request a later time don't mention childcare issues.

Good luck, sounds like a good opportunity.

Laundryangel Tue 16-Sep-14 23:04:05

What time does the job you are being interviewed for usually start? If at 10 am or earlier, then I definitely don't think you should ask for it to be re arranged because of this; even if the job would usually start later, I would really try not to rearrange due to childcare issues as I think it just puts you on the back foot. 10am is relatively late!

SavoyCabbage Tue 16-Sep-14 23:06:03

I would pull in some favours to get there.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 16-Sep-14 23:13:27

Could you drop the younger child off before taking the older one to school?
As others have said, I would move heaven and earth to get to the interview at the requested time. If you can't, lie about the reason for needing to change the time. Don't use childcare issues.

zipzap Tue 16-Sep-14 23:15:22

You don't have to mention childcare - just say that unfortunately you have a prior commitment and the earliest that you could get there is [whatever time you can get there], alternatively could you speak to them to arrange a mutually convenient time.

You're not telling a lie - you do have a prior commitment - getting your dc to school and childcare. YOu're just describing it in a profession manner without troubling them with the details.

Oh and good luck with the interview!

NotCitrus Tue 16-Sep-14 23:30:41

Ask if you can change time as otherwise will have to change a prior commitment - they say yes or no.
Though last time I asked they said they were only doing interviews on one day to cut down numbers, so if you couldn't do that day they wouldn't interview you.

I'd phone and discuss. Good luck!

Sendintheshiraz Tue 16-Sep-14 23:31:41

Thanks all, useful replies smile

I have had to rearrange interviews for candidates on loads of occasions in my old job, and, although we do it, we do find it a pain, so I know I need to bust my balls and make it at the time they have offered to be in with a chance...Ironically the job is in a school, but I know deep down they aren't going to want to hear about my child care arrangements or current lack of...

Back to the drawing board and thinking cap back on, will have to think of something!!!

sleepyhead Tue 16-Sep-14 23:36:36

Could you meet your friend/mum somewhere on the way to the interview to hand over dc and then meet them again afterwards for lunch or coffee? Maybe they could go to a park with the baby or something? Interviews rarely last very long.

ICantFindAFreeNickName Tue 16-Sep-14 23:42:37

If it's a school they have probably got a couple of governors in or have released a member of the SMT for the interviews, so the date will be pretty fixed.
I guess it might not hurt to ask, if there is any other time slot available (someone else might have dropped out etc). You could use the prior commitment excuse, but be very clear you will make the 10:00am if there is no alternative, as you really want the job. TBH though if you really want the job, do anything you can to get there for 10. Good Luck

Sendintheshiraz Tue 16-Sep-14 23:54:32

sleepyhead - I am actually now thinking the most practical thing to do would be school run, then drive to interview avec my ten month old and rope my Mum into coming along, as there is a very very string chance my ten month old will nap on the way there anyway, and so viola... All my mum will have to do is sit with the baby/give snack/milk hopefully!!

By the time she were to get to me/I could drop the baby off it'd be rushed and DC2 is a terrible fusspot, so maybe her being oblivious is the best thing...

Fancy taking your mother to an interview, needs must! grin

Sendintheshiraz Tue 16-Sep-14 23:55:23

String chance = strong chance, oh dear!

reddaisy Wed 17-Sep-14 10:08:14

I took my DH and both DC to two interviews once! DH dropped me off (where no-one could see them!) then went and entertained the children at a park/café within driving distance and then picked me up afterwards.

This was more because DS was still breastfed and under six months so by the time one of the very long interviews had finished, we were desperate to see each other (DS because he was hungry and me because my breasts were engorged!)

Not ideal but it was a way around our lack of other options. Good luck!

DrCarolineTodd Wed 17-Sep-14 22:21:18

Phone, don't email!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now