Advanced search


(4 Posts)
wobblyknicks Thu 25-Mar-04 10:47:19

I know the basics of what you need to be a qualified child-minder but what about if you're basically a baby-sitter but use your own home rather than going to other people's?

Have been thinking about this as I know a few people who'd want child-minding on an ad-hoc basic, and of course I'd want paying for doing it. I've got a basic first-aid certificate but that's it. Is it worth doing or could there be too many legal pitfalls? Also, how many children would be a good maximum? (I'm thinking 2, including my dd but how many tops?)

alibubbles Thu 25-Mar-04 12:03:20

You must be registered with Ofsted if you look after children not related to you, in your own home, for more than two hours, for any form of reward, monetary or otherwise. If not, you are liable for prosecution.

If you go to other people's house, you do not have to be registered, although you can register as a home carer, so parents can get certain allowances, from their employers, such as chikdcare vouchers, and the new tax break due to start in April 05.

Ofsted would determine how many children you could look after ( this would be up to 3 under 5's including your own and upto three 5-8's including any of your own) and this would be stated on your certificate. You may not mind overnight unless specifically registered to do so either.

If you want to know any more info. please feel free to ask. I have managed training courses for 400 childminders in the past.

twiglett Fri 26-Mar-04 09:19:37

message withdrawn

wobblyknicks Fri 26-Mar-04 09:22:21

Thanks both of you - it was only a vague idea because a few people have said it would be nice not to have to find a nursery etc but, as I thought, it would be too much paperwork for the work I'd actually be getting.

Thanks anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: