Talk

Advanced search

NVQ assessor?

(11 Posts)
tinkywinkyshandbag Thu 24-Apr-14 23:27:22

Hi, does anyone work as an NVQ assessor? I had to get an NVQ for my current job and my assessor told me she loved her job and it was very flexible around children which sparked an interest. I have a background in HR and have a degree, an HR diploma and an MA, I have also worked as an online assessor for a training organisation. I currently work in childcare (hence having to do an NVQ) but am wanting to move on and as my kids are getting older I could work longer hours. I think I have the right sort of skills. Does anyone know if I would need to take all the NVQ assessor training or would there be some sort of conversion type course I could do? I would like to be an assessor either in the field of childcare or in something like HR. Thanks if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them. I have already spent quite a bit of cash training as a therapist but I don't think my heart is in it so am quite keen to do something where I don't have to put a huge amount of time and money into getting another qualification. Thanks.

Supermum222 Sat 26-Apr-14 13:18:12

Hi,

I will watch this thread with interest as I am thinking of doing the NQV assessor course. I have not looked into it a lot as I am also hoping to do a PGCE (Post 16) this September.
I have worked for the NHS (still do) for 18 years now and went part time when my son arrived 10 years ago. My job is moving soon so I am planning on going down to 2 days (from 3) rather than return full time in the future (too many NHS cutbacks and distance make it not worthwhile). I have always had a strong interest in education so I am hoping to train to teach A-levels (science), BTEC courses and see what other doors it would open up (alongside my NHS career of course). I also want to benefit from the school holidays :-)
Like you, I have a degree and a Masters so would really like to use them for something else. I used to work with someone who was an NVQ assessor 'on the side' (as well as NHS) and she really enjoyed it (worked well around her 2 daughters).
I don't want to take on too much though as the PGCE in itself will be demanding. I was planning on NVQ training later.
I think you have perfect skills but do think you would have to do the NVQ assessors course. See link (similar links available):
www.nvqjobs.com/content/nvq-jobs-faq's---what-is-an-nvq-assessor?-41304.htm

You can assess Childcare (not sure about HR) and Health (obviously, what I want to do).

Supermum222 Sat 26-Apr-14 13:29:38

Hi again,

I have just had a quick look at the link and you are able to do NQV assessing in both childcare and HR/recruitment. I had a look on the jobs link on there and both are listed. HTH.

Supermum222 Sat 26-Apr-14 13:30:14

NVQ! Don't know why I keep putting NQV!

tinkywinkyshandbag Sat 26-Apr-14 15:28:24

Thanks, I have e-mailed a couple of places for info on training. Will let you know how I get on.

jct1234 Wed 14-Oct-15 22:15:06

I can help people who want to be assessors, I am one, I can answer your questions. Unfortunately these courses are not funded now.

jct1234 Wed 14-Oct-15 22:16:10

I can help if anyone wants to be an assessor. These course are not funded by the government anymore sadly.

MaybeDoctor Thu 05-Nov-15 11:17:49

Hi, I am also interested in going down the NVQ assessor route. That would also be in childcare and possibly for classroom assistants in schools.

* JCT* How many hours do you tend to work per day? I would want to be an hourly paid assessor, so am quite interested in how the hours/amount of work involved would pan out. E.g. is it mostly brief notes/form filling that you can do while you are with the learner, or do you have to do a lot beyond every paid hour?

What about the pattern of work? I have worked with someone who was undergoing assessment and they seemed to meet with their assessor for regular hourly meetings, then there was a longer final assessment visit at the end. Is that about right?

I am also thinking of doing the re-named PTTLS course and have a college not too far away where I could study this course, however I would have to do the TAQA with a training company. Are some training providers better than others? Any suggestions for one in London or nearby?

Also,what do you find are the up-sides and down-sides of this kind of work?

Thanks.

jct1234 Mon 09-Nov-15 13:10:39

Hi I am an assessor and it is probably the best move I ever made. You have two choices get a paid position within a company or go freelance which I am but you do have to be super-organised as I can be working for up to 5 companies at one time. It does not really matter what your career has been in before. You need a level 3 or above in whatever it is you work in (the assessor qualification is generic and can be used with any employment sector so long as you are capable in that area) and you can be multi disciplined so for example I can assess childcare, teaching assistants, business admin and customer service because I have both qualifications and work experience in these job roles that is what you have to prove to be accepted as an assessor. You do need to do specific assessor training which can be between 6-12 months depending on how quickly you want to do it but I have not heard that there are any freebies with these courses you would have to pay and I think they are around a thousand pounds to do the course but I suppose it is an investment. As a freelancer you are responsible for your own tax and national insurance whereas if you are employed they will sort all that out.

jct1234 Mon 09-Nov-15 13:22:39

Hi nice to hear from you. Like you I work in childcare and teaching assistants and the hours are pretty much fixed as these tend to be between 9 and 3 generally morning visits. As a general rule your learners will have hourly visits unless you are observing them each learner gets two observations but that it because I am experienced and know what I am looking for but the downside is all the paperwork once you get home, referencing work etc and checking portfolios is my bugbare. Some people now do online courses called e-learning so you can log into a data base where their work is held and this means you do not have to see them as much. So working evenings and weekends is normal for me but it means I can be more flexible in the week and fit my hours in to suit. If you are working in adult care, business admin or customer service you could find yourself going on visits at the weekend or evenings. If you worked for a company as an assessor you will be given a caseload for a fulltime assessors that would be around 40 learners and you have to see them once a month. My normal day will be between 4 and 6 hours or I can plan a day off if I am clever just means working harder one day. Unless you are salaried which these jobs are becoming fewer you will be paid per learner which in Birmingham is between 400 and 600 for the qualification per learner and tends to be broken down into monthly instalments. It will be like juggling balls if the learners are all playing ball you are laughing but if they go awol or drop out of their learning it gets a bit messy. You will also need to consider doing your own tax and national insurance. As far as getting qualified is concerned you will have to do the specific assessors award takes you about 6-9 months the PTLLS is for any teaching part the two do go together think it is called certificate in education and training now , hope this helps, good luck

MaybeDoctor Mon 09-Nov-15 21:39:49

Many thanks, that is all really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now