Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Working at school as a lunch supervisor. Any chance to progress?

(13 Posts)
DrOwh Wed 19-Mar-14 21:52:06

Hi
I am a ex-nursery assistant and a CM with relevant qualification in Childcare. But I will be jobless soon when my last mindee goes to big school.
I have just seen an ad at a local school for 2 hours a day as a meal supervisor for the nursery (my favourite age group!)

Obviously pay isn't great but is there any chance I could progress to a full time position at the classroom at some point (after more training if necessary) or maybe even the office?
Anyone done this?

The only problem is it will be in a way of me getting a better position somewhere else with more pay and I will have to give up the volunteering as Family Support Worker that I am due to start soon...(I am volunteering with a view to get a job, but the school hours suit me better of course.

kilmuir Thu 20-Mar-14 15:51:05

Why not give it a go, you will have your foot in the door so to speak

Technical Thu 20-Mar-14 16:00:24

Yes, I have just asked one of our dinner ladies to cover the office reception for a year (we have a long-term sick issue). A lot of our TAs started as MDAs (pay still isn't great though, for either position)

DrOwh Thu 20-Mar-14 16:26:03

Oh. I am not bothered about the pay so much until DD goes to secondary.
What is MDAs and I guess the pay in the office is better??

NurseyWursey Thu 20-Mar-14 16:30:21

I love these new names 'lunch supervisor' aka dinner lady (although much more PC now)

My friend was a dinner lady but she wasn't given any chance to progress I hasn't really thought it was to be honest. Could you perhaps ask the employer?

DrOwh Thu 20-Mar-14 16:33:49

Ha!! I always thought dinner ladies were the cookers!
The position is for nursery only.

derektheladyhamster Thu 20-Mar-14 16:35:46

a know a couple of people who started as mdas, and are now tas

Technical Thu 20-Mar-14 16:36:16

MDA= mid-day assistant, or dinnerlady!

MinesAPintOfTea Thu 20-Mar-14 16:38:48

Could you do the lunch supervisor job and try to get primary school mindees as well?

DrOwh Thu 20-Mar-14 16:41:09

I will probably have the same mindee I have now coming after school anyway, but I haven't set it in stone because I need to decide what to do before 3pm.
But I don't want to be stuck as a MDA for too long so it is a risk.

jellybeans Fri 21-Mar-14 22:18:11

All the MDA I know have gone on to be TAs.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 22-Mar-14 05:31:29

There have been a few threads on here/Employment issues about how to 'get in' to schools to do either a TA or admin job. The general gist is that being employed there already seems a great way to find out about other opportunities. And often it seems these jobs go to somebody who is already at the school either working or volunteering (eg reading in class).

For the school it is a reduced risk taking on somebody that they know.

So I would imagine it is a very good route in. Could you also volunteer to read? That will give you a chance to be 'seen' doing something that a TA would do which might also help.

Good luck.

BitchyHen Sat 22-Mar-14 06:03:49

Seven years ago I started work at a local secondary school as a lunchtime supervisor when my youngest dc started reception. After doing some voluntary work I trained as a ta and I now work in a ks4 pru.
If you can get a foot in the door it's much easier to progress. Schools like to hold on to reliable staff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now