Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas

(3 Posts)
mumatwork14 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:47:56

Hello everyone,

I'm in a total fix about a job I've been offered.

It was a full time position, I asked for three days but they offered four - which I accepted.

I now feel that I may have made the wrong decision. My son is 19 months old and I'm enjoying spending time with him and working freelance when he's asleep.

The job itself will be quite boring, and childcare costs make the salary almost negligible, but it is a fantastic organisation and I'd love to work there.

The situation is further complicated by the fact that I am searching for a nanny for the time when he is not at nursery (which is full until August). We're also moving house in August so I'm struggling to get my head around all of these changes...

At the same time, I would like to get back into the employment market before he goes to school, and would also benefit from the maternity benefits when I have another child.

I really don't know what to do! Even though I've accepted I guess it's not too late to change my mind, although I'd close off any chance of working at the organisation.

My heart says stay at home, but my brain says take the job, see how it goes and leave if it doesn't work...

Sorry for the rant! Any help much appreciated.

Thank you.

MumbleBag Wed 19-Mar-14 14:36:40

It's really hard to decide and to know what it will be like, but I'll add my thoughts if it helps.

I was made redundant from my 4 day a week job and have been struggling to find something else part-time. I'm now about to accept an offer of a great role at 4 days a week and feel really lucky to have got it, but now realise I am going to miss being around my DC.

That said, good part-time jobs are few and far between. I also remember I soon got used to working 4 days when I went back after maternity leave the first time despite finding it hard to leave DS at first. I found DS really thrived at nursery after he settled in and he learnt so much there. I really loved spending my day off in the week with him, but also loved having a job. Being a SAHM since redundancy has been great but I miss having something just for me and worry about being out of work too long.

I would say go for it. I'm sure you will both settle in to the new routine quickly. You can always change your mind if it really doesn't work and if you are thinking of having another child, then it would definitely make sense to get some maternity entitlement. Good luck whatever you decide!

MumbleBag Wed 19-Mar-14 14:38:11

And meant to say - well done on finding a job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now