Talk

Advanced search

Changing job while on mat leave

(8 Posts)
Queazy Sat 15-Mar-14 11:45:57

Hi

I'd been with my employer 20 months before going on mat leave, and due back in six months time. They only pay statutory maternity pay, so other than personal loyalty, and obviously a salary, there would be no financial incentive for me to return. I don't like my boss and find the organisation hugely political. That said, I'm viewed as a high performer and the team I manage are lovely. It means a commute by train though and I'm worried about leaving my DD four days a week with a 2.5hr round trip commute.

I've started looking for other jobs but don't know if this is just hugely risky. I'm going to want to try for another baby in about 6-12 months time, as had my first a bit later in life than I thought I would. Sorry for the rambling message but what would you do? I'm worried it's all just a case of the grass is always greener. I want a job closer to home but can't afford a pay cut (and I know it's a bit 'have your cake and eat it' in this climate, but I don't want to take a step back in my career either!).

Any advice, comments or experiences would be really appreciated! smile

Chunderella Sat 15-Mar-14 13:04:44

It doesn't sound like your current role is particularly great for you, so I'd look elsewhere. I changed jobs on ML, went back early in fact, and it worked well. I don't think the fact that I joined whilst on ML has made a difference. Also regarding pay cuts, you mention a long commute so somewhere closer to home would presumably result in lower travel costs and not needing as much childcare. So you need to factor that in. It's not impossible that a lower salary closer to home would leave the same or more money in your pocket.

Queazy Sat 15-Mar-14 18:04:57

That's a really good point - thank you! I've just moved a lot in my career and hoped I'd stay put a bit longer this time! Needs must tho smile

CountBapula Sat 15-Mar-14 18:49:58

I changed jobs while on mat leave. Liked my job but hated my boss, the politics and the long hours.

I'm now on mat leave with DC2 (who's now 4 days overdue!). I'd clocked in two and a half years at the new place before I went off, though - not that it makes much difference as they only offer statutory mat pay anyway.

One counter-argument: if you're looking to get pg again quickly, it might be a case of 'better the devil you know' - it might be stressful being relatively new in a job and dealing with morning sickness, exhaustion etc, plus juggling DC1.

CountBapula Sat 15-Mar-14 18:53:14

PS I'd say only change jobs if you find a really good one. I wasn't actually looking but my dream job came up and I had to go for it. It was the best thing I could've done. But it was quite scary starting a new job having not worked for a year.

Oldiron Sat 15-Mar-14 19:01:24

I changed jobs whilst on mat leave and it was definitely the best thing for me to do - and for similar reasons to you as well.
BUT (!) If you are planning ttc in 6 months and due back at work in 6 months might you not be better off sticking it out and then changing jobs whilst on that lot of mat leave? Especially if there's a chance you might go back to work already pregnant?

Queazy Mon 17-Mar-14 13:40:57

I think you're absolutely right - I'm really nervous about ttc when I go back though. I think my boss would kill me xx

kate1516 Tue 18-Mar-14 13:45:18

I am going back to a different employer when I finish mat leave in a couple of months. I was really unsure what to do too but now I have made the decision I am happy. I had the option of going back working 4 days a week to my current job which I like but which is very long hours and unpredictable locations or starting a new one full time (not really any part time work advertised in the work I do). In the end I decided to just see what was out there and only leave if I found something more suitable (which I did).

I don't think there is any harm in looking at new jobs. I think you will get more of a feel for what is the right decision for you when you have real alternatives laid out in front of you.

Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now