Talk

Advanced search

How to record employment on CV

(8 Posts)
mumbaisapphirebluespruce Wed 19-Feb-14 17:11:58

My situation is that I began work for a company in April 2012. I became pregnant several months later and started my maternity leave in April 2013. I have recently, just last month, advised my boss I will not be returning in April as planned. The only reason I did so is because she asked....yes yes, I could have delayed, I know legally I only had to give 4 weeks etc, but in all honesty she thought I was coming back and so was just trying to put some plans in place. It was my intention to return, but for various reasons, mainly an impending overseas move, decided not to. So technically I 'resigned' in January.

I will be looking for work again in June, once we have completed our move. So I'm trying to update my CV, but am uncertain how to record my latest employment. I know that maternity leave is viewed as continuous employment, but does that apply if you don't return, even though I had every intention of doing so? As far as I see it I have three options:

1. April 2012-April 2013
2. April 2012-January 2014
3. April 2012 - April 2014

Any advice?

CareersDragon Sat 22-Feb-14 08:51:06

There's no obligation to be specific about the actual terms of your maternity leave on a cv. After all, you are at home looking after DC....use the dates that best suit you.

insancerre Sat 22-Feb-14 08:54:49

i would put
current job title April 2012 - present
a couple of lines detailing role and responsibility and then would add I am currently on maternity leave from this position

MomentForLife Sat 22-Feb-14 08:57:54

I would put April 2012 - present as well.

mamababa Sat 22-Feb-14 09:06:09

If you resigned in January are you still employed there or have you received your p45? If you are still employed then I would say - present but if you are not then put the date you finished. I wouldn't put anything on a CV about maternity leave personally.

mumbaisapphirebluespruce Sat 22-Feb-14 15:16:39

Thanks ladies. I'm not in the UK, so we don't get P45s but I think they do issue me a record of employment, which I haven't received yet. They are waiting until after my official return date to pay me a bonus, as if they do it before it will interfere with my maternity allowance. So I suppose technically I'm still employed by them, at least on paper. Ok that makes me feel better. Thanks for answering!

FadBook Sat 22-Feb-14 15:21:30

You can out until present or April 2014

It's continuous service throughout mat leave.

mamababa Sat 22-Feb-14 22:21:51

Yes I know it's continuous employment but you can resign at any point during that period and if your resignation is accepted then an end date is agreed.

As I said don't mention the mat leave on the CV. If asked why you are leaving your current job you can mention then if you wish but I wouldn't as its irrelevant to your skills to be able to do the job grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now