Talk

Advanced search

Mr Fuzzpig's got a job! Please help me be organised!

(5 Posts)
fuzzpig Tue 18-Feb-14 08:25:31

So DH has been offered a job after being out of work for over 3 years (back injury) grin happy happy happy!

This will be the first time we've both worked since having DCs. So any advice about making the transition easier would be much welcomed!

I work very part time as I have a disability that often severely limits energy. DH's job is full time, not exactly sure of hours yet but probably 9 - 6.30. Both jobs are in our town, one bus for me but 2 buses (or walking) for DH. Neither of us drive.

So I'll be going from doing very little (DH does most childcare for our two infant school age DCs, housework etc) to doing a lot of it and TBH I'm a bit worried how my health will stand up to it as it is quite sudden (he starts on Monday!) - so I want to be as organised as possible.

Any advice please? smile

SavoyCabbage Tue 18-Feb-14 08:47:12

We have things that each if us do every day to keep things running. Dh empties the dishwasher in the morning and starts it at night.

I put a load of washing on in the morning and hang it up when I get home from work. I do all the packed lunches.

That sort of thing.

I try to meal plan but I'm not very good at it. We have a slow cooker meal if the dc have after school stuff.

overmydeadbody Tue 18-Feb-14 09:01:16

Get a routine going, of doing certain things done as soon as they need doing, we implement what we call "lean methods" in this house, where as soon as something needs doing, we do it, so for example we used to leave the washing up from the night before until the morning, then in the morning things were so rushed we didn't do it all, so it was left till after work when we were trying to cook. Now we do the washing up right afgter we have eaten, it doesn't actually take long and then it is done. We use this for tidying stuff away, we have slowly got into the habit of putting something in its place rather than just dumping it anywhere to be dealt with later.

Also, don't sweat the small stuff, sometimes your house will be messy but it doesn't really matter too much.

fuzzpig Tue 18-Feb-14 13:31:20

Thanks for replying smile

TBH our house is a mess anyway grin so I'm not terribly fussed but obviously stuff like washing up and laundry can't be ignored (sadly)

We've talked a few things through and for example we've agreed that for laundry, I will do the washing bit but DH will do the hanging out bit because when it's wet it's too heavy for me and I'm not able to stand long enough to hang it up. I should be able to put it away when it's dry though.

I will have a fair bit of time a few days a week so I should be able to get things done, but I have to take things slowly and take breaks.

DH also suggested giving the DCs their bath in the mornings instead of at bedtimes. We worked out he won't really need to leave until about 8am, so he can do most of the getting ready bit for me as we leave at 8.15.

On my work days I can get the bus straight to work, I'll get there a bit early but we have a nice staff room I can rest in.

Definitely want to meal plan - we've really improved our diet lately (had been relying on a lot of convenience stuff while we were both out of action) and I want to stick to that. I'm actually looking forward to cooking more but I'll really need to be organised with shopping (done online) and planning, and maybe bulk cooking although we don't have much freezer space.

It's the routine and good habits that I will struggle with as I'm just not used to 'running a house' TBH blush so your advice is really useful thanks smile

PotteringAlong Tue 18-Feb-14 13:40:15

Online shop

Slow cooker

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now