Talk

Advanced search

Applying for work via online jobsites.

(4 Posts)
fedupandfifty Mon 17-Feb-14 16:28:58

I'm trying to get back to "proper" work but I haven't a clue how to do it online. For example, how do you tailor an application if all you do is upload a cv? And what happens to applications once they've been uploaded? How do you know your application is being dealt with? And finally, do you have to put your date of birth on a cv?

Help!

dontyouknow Mon 17-Feb-14 22:17:45

The online jobsites I use have jobs from various agencies on them and have contact details for the agency with the listing. I never find there is enough information on the jobs so I forward my standard CV to the agency, tell them I am interested in the job and ask them to call me. We speak about the job and if I want to apply and they think I am suitable then I tailor my CV if needed and ask them to send it on.

I wouldn't just apply through the online jobsite. I don't know if the way I do it is best but I wouldn't be happy with a generic CV going off all the time or applying for jobs which I don't know enough details about.

I don't put my date of birth on my CV.

fedupandfifty Tue 18-Feb-14 10:08:17

Thanks*don't*. Yes, that's what I think. I don't want to waste time/ other people's time by sending off an unsuitable CV. I need at least a person spec and a job description. As I'm getting on a bit in years, I don't really want to flag up my age, either!

Bring back hr departments!

TheNunsOfGavarone Tue 18-Feb-14 11:05:30

Hi Fedup I am new to this process too and read on one job site's FAQ that it's better for purposes of security to leave your exact address off your CV, just putting the area and the postcode. My date of birth hasn't been on my CV for quite a while.

The site I'm on has an option to add a note to the agency or employer when you send them your CV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now