Talk

Advanced search

Trying a new career path

(6 Posts)
BulletForMySandwich Mon 17-Feb-14 10:40:28

I don't honestly know what to do with my career. I'm a stay at home mum and happy to be! But my whole childhood was full of credit cards being run up, overdrafts and all of that's I want my dd to not have that growing up. I'm a trained chef and cake decorator but I don't want to be a chef any more - the work is so antisocial! And everyone seems to be a cake decorator these days so not many people will pay the bigger prices when they know someone who'll give it a go for cheapie cheap! I've only ever worked in customer service (shops, cafés) and I was thinking of going back to college to retrain as something but don't know what - I'm very flexible but want something that will result in decent pay with decent hours - I don't want to be stuck in dead end jobs like my parents were - it makes me sad for them sad
I just don't really know what's out there - I don't know if anyone could help? Thanks!

FrogGreen Mon 17-Feb-14 10:45:34

what do you like doing? Are you creative? technical? are there aspects of chef-ing / cake-decorating that you enjoyed more than others?

BulletForMySandwich Mon 17-Feb-14 10:47:42

I like cake decorating but I prefer working with people, coming up with new ideas, reorganising things - I once came up with all new ideas to refurb a cafe I worked in - they took my advice but I'd left but that point!

FrogGreen Mon 17-Feb-14 11:25:16

have you thought of teaching? my aunt was a chef, lots of hard work doing events and so on, she refurbed her kitchen so she could run cooking classes at home, she's never looked back!

BulletForMySandwich Mon 17-Feb-14 11:30:14

I think I don't have enough experience to do that, and not enough money to start up! I wouldn't mind teaching but I don't know how is best to get into it/which age group i would like to teach? It's so difficult, I wish if made a better decision the first time around with college!

FrogGreen Mon 17-Feb-14 12:14:26

okay, I was thinking of some very small cake-decorating classes, even one-on-one "make an amazing birthday cake" so that you can start very small. The marketing might be a bit daunting, it might work if you started with friends.

otherwise, um, from what you say, an idea might be events management? you might even be able to train on the job?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now