Talk

Advanced search

43 TOO OLD TO BECOME A VET NURSE?

(10 Posts)
clevergingercat Mon 13-Jan-14 18:44:39

I know the retirement age will soon be gone and workers will need to work forever, which has prompted this post (finally). I have always had a deep passion for animal welfare. I have always had cats, and a dog at one point. I am a volunteer for my local cats protection, and about to start volunteering with my local RSPCA. My mother pushed me into nursing at 18 (!); although later I studied for a degree and became a teacher. Children came along with various degrees of needs: aspergers, autism, ADHD. Thankfully all at school now (my youngest is 9). Still angry at my mother, who died 15 years ago, for having such a strong hold on me, I have finally decided that this may be my last chance to do something that I am passionate about.
I know what is involved and how long the training is - at the moment, I am re-doing my maths at level 2 to get a head start. If I can't get a job in a veterinary practice then I realise I may need to pay for the course myself.

But getting to the crux of the matter - Am I too old to do vet nursing?

Any mumsnetters out there could offer advice?

Thanks, Jayne

JeanSeberg Mon 13-Jan-14 19:07:40

I've no idea about the career/training but you should definitely go for this.

clevergingercat Mon 13-Jan-14 21:16:04

Thanks Jean for the encouragement. x

MrsAragon Mon 13-Jan-14 21:18:46

goodness, no way!! go for it and enjoy smile

xfilefan Mon 13-Jan-14 21:31:07

im a vet nurse and have worked with people of a similar age training & just qualified so defo not a problem for age-except maybe the wages may not be what you need for a morgage etc-especially as a student And you do have to work in practice in order to qualify for the practical learning so it can be really really hard to get in to.

clevergingercat Mon 13-Jan-14 21:50:11

Ah thanks Mrs Aragon! x

clevergingercat Mon 13-Jan-14 21:58:07

Thanks for the info xfilefan. Interesting to know that people are qualifying at my age. The pay doesn't worry too much; I don't have a mortagage anymore, lost our house when my husband lost his job when he had his breakdown - fortunately we have a housing association house now and do rely on benefits. My husband is unlikely to work again due to his mental health, so he is really supportive of me doing this. The thing I have learnt in life is that it is important to enjoy something you feel passionate about. I have done various jobs in my time and most I have hated with a passion.

I know finding a practice will be the difficult bit.So better get my skates on! Thanks again and good luck xx

clevergingercat Mon 13-Jan-14 21:59:00

Thanks ladies for your input. x

Puffin99 Sun 29-Sep-19 19:09:38

Hi, appreciate this is a very old thread ! But did you follow your heart and train to be a veterinary nurse?? I'm hoping to train but not sure if 40 is too old ?

Breakfast1nBed7295 Wed 02-Oct-19 23:46:11

There is no compulsory retirement age any more. If you are already working, you can request to keep working
Which is why for example you hear of bus or lorry drivers still working in their 70s and other industries too

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »