Talk

Advanced search

Second day back and on verge of tears!

(12 Posts)
Northlondonma Tue 07-Jan-14 09:22:23

Am sitting at my desk on my second day back at work after a glorious 14 months off with my second child. I also have a 4 year old who started school in September who can not really remember me working.

I have to be at my desk at 7.30 so I don't get to see them in the morning. After I went back to work with my first it was slightly traumatic until she had fully settled in at nursery but, my God, this time it is so much worse as she can now articulate how she feels! I spoke to her this morning before she starts school again after the Xmas hols and she was in absolute floods of tears. Why am I not there anymore? She really misses me etc. Knife. Dagger. Heart. I can only see them for just under an hour in the evenings and she is completely bewildered. My youngest is not yet settled in
to nursery yet so he was wailing too.

Please please tell me that this gets easier. Have cried twice this morning in the loos and it is not even 9.30!!!!!

LaundryLegoLunch Tue 07-Jan-14 09:32:55

It will get easier. Fwiw I also think its extra hard for young children going back after Christmas. They spend two weeks surrounded by family, getting presents, eating special food and going to the panto/cinema whatever. It's different to Easter (nothing really but chocolate) or Summer (prob a family hol in there but not 6 solid weeks of family and no presents etc).

I think that none of them really want to accept that Christmas is really finished.

Of course going back to work is hard and in some ways harder when your children are at school as they're a bit more out of reach iyswim.

But you have to take the long view that ultimately you're building a better future for them.

Northlondonma Tue 07-Jan-14 10:00:05

Thanks Laundry! I really never even thought of it being the end of Xmas. Rather the beginning of the new year. I completely agree with you. We have been with family for almost 2 weeks.

my husband did his first school run this morning and the boy went to nursery with no coat or shoes and my girl went to school with unbrushed hair!

carasandra Wed 07-Jan-15 16:30:06

Did thou not just have a hysterectomy on Mon ??

PatriciaHolm Fri 09-Jan-15 18:11:48

I think you have your years mixed up, Cara....

Ajmtc Mon 12-Jan-15 09:10:33

It will get easier as they get into a routine and I agree it is always much worse after this holidays as you have been at home and doing such fun things. I too found it really difficult after going back with my second although she settled well at nursery my son who was older got really upset. Still now he sometimes doesn't want to go to school even! I am lucky as I have flexibility with my job but I have started my own home based business which I plan to build up so I can get even greater flexibility as I felt the only option for me was to take that control and be able to be around when I wanted and needed to. Good luck with it hopefully as January comes to a close they will settle down and you will all find it much easier smile

AnythingNotEverything Mon 12-Jan-15 09:15:49

I'm confused like Cara ... OP started a thread on 7/1/15 saying she'd just had a hysterectomy via keyhole surgery, and had a 2 and 4 yo at home.

Something doesn't add up confused

AnythingNotEverything Mon 12-Jan-15 09:17:02

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2275870-Anyone-up-for-a-new-hysterectomy-hand-holding-thread

Catmint Mon 12-Jan-15 09:23:00

This thread is a year old.

Mintyy Mon 12-Jan-15 09:24:52

Fgs!

DropYourSword Mon 12-Jan-15 09:34:49

Have people seriously not clicked that THIS thread is a year old. Poor Northlondonma.

AnythingNotEverything Mon 12-Jan-15 09:49:13

There we go. Bloody zombie threads shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now