Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Resigning and JSA

(8 Posts)
Caramelbutthorn Sun 15-Sep-13 17:09:34


I am a lone parent, due to return to work in December 2013.

I don't want to go back as my job is in London and due to family issues I have had to move closer to my mum who lives in Hampshire. The cost of a season ticket and time to commute makes returning to work in London very impractical.

If I were to resign, would I be eligible for JSA when it comes time for me to look for a job? I'm not leaving because I don't like it, I'm leaving because it just isn't feasible to return.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

C x

tywysogesgymraeg Sun 15-Sep-13 17:12:11

Not an expert, but I don't think so. I don't think you can claim if you intentionally make your self unemployed.

How about looking for a job before you actually move, and perhaps commute in the opposite direction for a little bit until you find somewhere to live? The commute might be cheaper in the opposite direction too.

teenagetantrums Sun 15-Sep-13 17:13:19

You cant resign and get JSA straight away, how old are your children if they are under 5 (i think)you will get income support instead.

NicknameIncomplete Sun 15-Sep-13 17:16:14

You can claim JSA but they investigate why you left your job and may decide that you are not able to claim for anywhere up until 26 weeks after you left your job.

Caramelbutthorn Sun 15-Sep-13 18:10:58

I am also resigning because I want to stay at home and look after my baby (he's 10 months) I have already claimed income support but wasn't sure what would happen when / if I need to switch to jsa. I know there are some circumstances in which you can still be entitled to get jsa if you have left of your own accord and wasn't sure if I had a case or not. (Needing to care for baby / sick mother) thank you.

Holliewantstobehot Sun 15-Sep-13 18:52:32

If you have a baby you can resign and go onto income support - you won't be on jsa anyway. You can still look for a job then if you want to.

Caramelbutthorn Mon 16-Sep-13 00:50:14

Thanks all, I was wondering what happened when the income support ends - say I can't find a job in time before the income support ends. Will they then say I am ineligible because I resigned?

Then again we are talking about five years time, in five years god knows what benefits will be around - if any. or i could be married to the man of my dreams smile

Holliewantstobehot Mon 16-Sep-13 09:27:59

No they won't -when exh and i split up i had to give up work as i worked nights around his shifts and couldn't get the childcare. They didn't even mention it when i went on to jsa.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: