Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

childminder or nursery?

(11 Posts)
Chloe55 Mon 05-Jun-06 10:41:40

I am having to go back to work in a couple of months and am trying to weigh up my options about who to put my then 6mth old baby with. Does anyone have any ideas about the pros/cons/experiences etc.

I am so about having to go back, i honestly think i will be beside myself but then we have to earn a crust.

anniemac Mon 05-Jun-06 10:49:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hulababy Mon 05-Jun-06 10:52:51

We chose day nursery for DD, who started there when she was 5 months old. She is now 4yo and had been in two nurseries - moved at 2yo when I moved jobs.

I didn't have any personal recommendations for a CM and I knew I would feel more comfortable with the idea of there being more than one person in charge of DD's welfare.

DD has loved day nursery and has thrived in the environment. She had done 2 (now 2.5) days a week there, with PILs looking after her one day a week. It has definitely been the best option for us and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

MissChief Mon 05-Jun-06 10:55:13

apply for nurseryies NOW! Then mull it over! Honestly, good ones have huge waiting lists. apply for several differnet options beofre making yr final decision otherwise you'll find you'll just have to take whatever's going!

IMO - childminder gen better for younger children but depends on individula..

Mazzystar Mon 05-Jun-06 11:04:04

I think the main thing is to go and look around a few places - both nurseries and childminders - you will probably find that you have the choice between some lovely places. In the end I chose a nursery because of the quality of environment that they were able to offer and the staff - its a very small baby room (only 9 children between 6 months and 2 years) attached to a Montessori school. DS is very happy.

Try if you can to give yourselves lots of time to get used to going - leaving your baby for an hour, then two, then mornings, then a few shorter days, before you get back to work.

hotmama Mon 05-Jun-06 11:14:38

For me personally, I only considered nurseries for a number of reasons - mainly because there would be more flexibility in terms of staff sickness - e.g. it's the nursery's problem to find cover not me finding another cm etc.

I went back to work when dd1 was 10 months, however I was 3 months pregnant with dd2 (oops ). I was definitely ready to go back to work but I wasn't when she was 6 months - so you may change. I loved having 'proper' adult conversations and being able to drink coffee when it was hot!

I was back at work for 5 months and am now on maternity leave with dd2, I am due back at work at the end of January and will def be going back because I love my job (though thinking about cutting down days) and I think working actually makes me a better mother - selfish perhaps but honest.

Check out a few nurseries to get the feel of them and ask around to get a 'real' opinion. HTH

bluejelly Mon 05-Jun-06 11:20:36

There was a thread a while back with lots of nursery nurses saying that they wouldn't put their babies into the baby room at nurseries... said that they didn't feel that the staff were able to give them enough individual attention...

My child went to a nursery then a childminder. If I had my life again I would have sent her to a nice childminder from the word go...

Good luck and I agree the idea of going back to work is so much worse than the reality

Jackstini Mon 05-Jun-06 11:22:13

I would have been comfortable with a CM that was personally recommended but noone we knew had used one recently that had places. I visited nurseries until I found one that felt right and am really happy with the one we have dd in. It is quite small - total 20 places for age 3 & under and max. 6 babies under 1 in a baby room with 3 staff. dd loves it and knows her keyworkers really well.
I do feel we have got the best of both worlds here. Trust me - you will know instantly you find the right place, it's just a feeling.
ps - you will still cry your eyes out on day 1 but it does get easier & you know you are just doing what you have to do to provide for your baby

Jackstini Mon 05-Jun-06 11:24:12

Mazzy - mine is a Montesorri too!

Chloe55 Mon 05-Jun-06 12:46:38

Thanks for all your replies although I now think I am even more confused Have cried all day just thinking about going back, pathetic I know but he is just so young, oh I just don't know what to do. I ahve taken on being an Avon leader and I have applied to become a Weight Watchers leader - all so I can earn enough cash to warrant me not going back to work but it is such a slow process and in the long run would work but not over the next couple of months

Jackstini Mon 05-Jun-06 13:17:53

Oh Chloe - it is perfectly normal to feel this way. My dd was only 8 weeks when I had to leave her. (Main breadwinner - dh looks after dd part time) Honestly though, the thought is worse than the reality. Once you have visited a few places and found one you like, the relief helps. I concentrate on the fact that she is too young to conciously know we are leaving her (unlike the nightmare scenes I see with toddlers!)and she does have such fun there now. Also every time I pick her up I fall in love with her all over again!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: