Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

OMG - I have an interview next week - haven't worked for 7 years - I'm so nervous!

(10 Posts)
sparkler1 Fri 02-Jun-06 11:24:45

I sent in an application form for a doctor's receptionist job about two weeks ago. I hadn't heard anything and assumed they weren't interested in me.
A letter came in the post this morning asking me to attend for interview on Monday 12th June.
{shock]
I am so nervous. I gave up work as a medical secretary just before I had dd1 nearly seven years ago.
I so hope I don't mess it up - almost forgotten how to have a conversation in the adult world.

gomez Fri 02-Jun-06 11:26:22

Good luck!

JackieNo Fri 02-Jun-06 11:29:31

Hope it all goes well.

Hollyboo Fri 02-Jun-06 12:01:26

Good luck Sparkler, you'll be grand. Maybe just brush up on a few interview skills.

EmmyLou Fri 02-Jun-06 12:57:43

Good luck - am thinking will be in same back to work boat in a few years time - will have been SAHM for nigh on ten years. Catching up on computer skills worries me. DD1 now knows so much more than me. Sure you'll be fine sparkler

chjlly Fri 02-Jun-06 13:06:50

Fantastic - well done Sparkler - we could be celebrating your new job on our night out too!!

Charlene1 Fri 02-Jun-06 18:18:44

Well done! - I've had my first "proper" interview this morning, and I was stressing really bad over it. I had questions like "so, give me examples of when you've had xyz situation and in what job", what have you done that's relevant to this. I stuttered and came out with inane irrelevant things, but on the whole, I think I managed to convince them there is life in me after kids!! Tip - turn your mobile off and check it IS off - mine rang halfway through my interview, so I probably ruined everything!! They were really nice though.
Believe me, if you've got as far as interview, they must like you, otherwise they wouldn't have asked you to go.

As you've done similar work, just go on about how you've got experience, and you're willing to update software/IT skills if necessary. Mine seemed to like that today!! If you've done ANYTHING remotely like work or had "positions of responsibility" or got relevant skills from being at home, make sure they know it! As I've found out, there is a lot of competition out there.
Good luck, let us know how it goes. After the trouble I've had recently with job hunting, I'm really pleased someone else is getting a chance to go back to work!! You have restored my faith in employers!!

sparkler1 Fri 02-Jun-06 20:13:47

Thanks everyone.

Charlene good luck - hope you get the job you are after. I've been racking my brains as to what I did do in "situations". So much has happened in my life since I finished work I can barely remember.
I'm sure I'll find some kind of answer to the questions they ask. LOL!

sparkler1 Fri 02-Jun-06 20:15:39

I'm not sure the hours are going to suit me yet. They stated 12-15 hours in the advertisment. When I spoke to them on the phone they said the hours would be discussed at interview. I really need something to work around my kids school times. DD2 doesn't start school until September (she does two and a half days at preschool at the moment) and won't be full time until October so I am a bit limited with what I can do.

Charlene1 Fri 02-Jun-06 20:31:52

thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: