Talk

Advanced search

How to retrain as a primary school teacher?

(7 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Tue 21-May-13 16:01:22

I already have a degree in English Literature... So is it a one year PGCE?

That seems too simple and I'm sure I must be wrong!

FishCalledWonder Tue 21-May-13 16:35:06

It is a one year PGCE but, to get accepted on the course, most universities will expect a bit of related experience. After my politics degree I helped out in a primary school for a couple of weeks.

curiousgeorgie Tue 21-May-13 16:39:42

Thanks... How did you get the primary school experience? Did you literally just send out lots of letters or is there a route you have to go through?

FishCalledWonder Wed 22-May-13 00:45:46

I just rang the school up the road and volunteered!

gaelicsheep Wed 22-May-13 00:50:29

I'm in Wales and I contacted the graduate careers service who encouraged me to ask my DC's school. I would never have been brave enough otherwise, but I did and the headteacher was so nice about it. I should be doing some shadowing there quite soon hopefully once my CRB check comes back, and hopefully I can carry on volunteering from time to time. Do you have a primary age DC?

gaelicsheep Wed 22-May-13 00:54:25

Wrt training, the best thing is to look at the various teaching websites and the Get Into Teaching blog as there are different routes you can take. Good luck. smile

curiousgeorgie Wed 22-May-13 07:59:24

I don't have school age DC yet... My daughter is going to start nursery in September though, and it is attached to a school.

I do have a friend who is a primary school teacher but in a 'friend of a friend' kind of way. Maybe I could ask her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now