Advanced search


(2 Posts)
lizzie1608 Thu 09-May-13 06:09:25

I am trying to go back to work and arrange childcare for my little girl who is two. I keep being told that I should get some help towards childcare costs and before I take the plunge wanted to get an idea of how much help we can get. Ideally I need her to go to a nursery but all we can afford is a pre-school at the moment. Anyway, I called HMRC, was waiting for 20 minutes and was then told that I need to use their online calculator (did this don't understand the results), talked to a helpline at our local council who just pointed me in the direction of HMRC. Does anyone know if there is anywhere that I can talk to a person and go through scenarios so that I can get it clear? I just want to talk to a person. Thank you.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Thu 09-May-13 06:33:42

I think your local CAB person will know for sure.

If you're on a low income you may be entitled to tax credits.

Anything else, and you can claim childcare vouchers (up to £243 a month for each parent) which are taken out of your wage before tax.

You might also be eligible for some free nursery hours, but I think that's geographically restricted and for very low incomes.

Ring the CAB.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: