Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else finding it hard to get a job???

(13 Posts)
mummyofeb Fri 12-May-06 20:21:46

Hello.

Has anyone else found it impossible to find something that's suitable for them that's part time.

I use to be a maths teacher but hated it so I'm switching careers. I've decided to pursue a career in accounting and finance and will probably be doing a course in college in September.

Also, no one wants to employ me! Can't do interviews! And these are just admin type jobs, perhaps also over qualified?? I do have a degree albeit not a good honours from a top uni.

Can anyone give me any tips on what I can do with self? Have transferred to another part of the country after being in Cambridge so know absolutely no one! boo hoo!!!!!!!!

mummyofeb Sun 14-May-06 18:31:40

Anyone out there? This is the next best thing to adult company.

Weatherwax Sun 14-May-06 21:01:13

synpathies. I havent decided what I will do next as my old job will have changed substantually. I've also got a plain degree in maths, its just 20+ years old!

Just wanted to say your not alone and hello

Weatherwax Sun 14-May-06 21:01:59

typical maths person, cant spell!

Frizbe Sun 14-May-06 21:04:35

Have you read Eve this month, interesting article about the post baby female workforce issue!

morocco Sun 14-May-06 21:05:16

hiya
yep, it's a bummer. We relocated from abroad which meant a change of career direction and it's hard to get in somewhere part time - all the good stuff is full time then I guess you could negotiate part time later - have you tried that yet? bit dishonest I suppose (I haven't got the balls to do it)
what course are you doing in finance? i thought about trying that myself. right now I've just finished a job app for an admin job - one of the few part time ones
see how it goes

mummyofeb Mon 15-May-06 14:00:18

so nice to receive messages!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, have tried loads of jobs and been to loads of interviews!! don't know how to sell self!
morocco, I was thinking of doing the AAT accounting technician course. Got an interview about it next week so I think that it's right then I might go for it! I NEED something to focus my brain on again!!!

MissChief Mon 15-May-06 14:03:36

can you do teaching-related stuff? exam-marking/one-to-one prepping kids for exams, invigilating etc.

kate100 Mon 15-May-06 14:03:47

I'm a teacher and am looking to go back to work and cannot find a single part time job to apply for. Looks like it will be supply for me come September, not exactly what I had in mind, but my children are more important. I read the eve article and thought it was dreadful, the worst thing being of course, was that it is all too true.

mummyofeb Mon 15-May-06 14:12:18

misschief,
have tried that already. Am on loads of registers for supply teaching and marking etc but appears as if I've left it too late. There doesn't seem much of a demand for maths teachers up here anyway.
sigh!

RainbowWalker Thu 18-May-06 11:35:20

Can sympathise with you ladies - I have four children (13,11 and 8 yr old twins) and have tried allsorts...and got fed up with all the juggling and guilt trips!

It wasn't my original choice of career path but I eventually found the solution last summer and joined Mini IQ as an associate... I'm now working EXACTLY the hours I want on MY TERMS to fit round my family.
I sell a wonderful range of educational books, toys and games for the 0-12 age range and advise parents on the best products to suit their children's development... it's really rewarding, financially sound and I've met so many lovely people through it...

I have two teachers in my team, many mums, some with degree qualifications, some with hardly any qualifications - all we share is a passion for children's development and a desire to balance our family life with work.

I'm only posting this message beause I truly believe I've found an answer which works for me -working with Mini IQ has made me a much happier mum and my children LOVE the products...

Might also be of interest - new for 2006, Mini IQ have an exclusive on the world's first online maths tutor which has to be seen to be believed -it really is the future!

Let me know if you'd like an info pack (no obligation!) and I'll pop some details in the post to you...

mummyofeb Thu 18-May-06 12:07:57

RW,
that sounds wonderful. Would like to know more about the online maths tutor thing please!
Has anyone heard of Kumon or is a Kumon instructor?

RainbowWalker Fri 19-May-06 13:27:11

Maths Whizz is designed for 5-12 year olds and is designed to appeal to the Kumon market but is far more fun, interactive and provides parent reports on usage/maths age and ability and progress.
It is subscription based (but parents can change their minds at any time) and when you break it down it works out at a more reasonable price per lesson than a private tutor. Mini IQ offer a saving on the price you'd pay direct to Maths Whizz.

Children get their own individual login and an online bedroom which they can change the wallpaper/floor colour etc and decorate how they wish and as they do exercises they earn credits to spend in the whizz shop on games/toys to put in their bedroom and they can also buy pets and petfood when they save up enough. Most children want to buy hamsters (which do a fab little moonwalk each time you feed them!)
I was so proud of my 8 y/o son when he worked out all by himself that it was better to buy petfood in bulk than individual meals because the price worked out better per meal! (He was doing maths without it even seeming like maths!)

maths whizz

If you'd like more info or to see some of the rave reviews printed in the Times Educational Supplement or Sunday Express I can email you attachments. The school version won this year's BETT award and the home version is (in my opinion anyway) even better than that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: