Talk

Advanced search

Interview - not had one for years - are they like the Apprentice ? ;)

(5 Posts)
TheChimpParadox Tue 09-Apr-13 12:22:20

Have an interview on Thursday. Panel interview - am very nervous as not had one for some years . Just get visions of when they interview the final few on the Apprentice and rip their CV's apart.

Any tips ?

redskyatnight Tue 09-Apr-13 13:05:31

Do you know what sort of interview it is? The ones I've been to recently have all been "competency based" i.e. they ask you do name a situation when you have done xyz. If it's that sort of interview it's probably a good plan to think of some situations - you can then amend them to fit round the question you are asked!

SavoyCabbage Tue 09-Apr-13 13:16:58

My dh says to remember they want to give you the job. They want to give you the opportunity to give them the information that you can do it.

Bambalam Tue 09-Apr-13 13:21:55

I've got a tip - it's to go APE! Many candidates just do A - answer the question, but to set yourself apart from others you need to P - make the answer personal, and E - evaluate.

It's just like, redsky says, you have to explain when you have demonstrated the skill yourself and how it worked. So an 'A' answer to 'What would you do if a staff member persistently called in sick?' might be along the lines of consulting the policy, involving HR, meeting the staff member, giving a warning etc. I've just made that up without ever doing it so that shows how an answer simply isn't enough. However if you go onto say 'and I did this with a staff member who explained she had problems at home/we created a solution/da da da and it worked because da da da' then you'll be top pick! Just don't actually say da da da, they might think you are la la.

APE kept going around my head during the last interview I had and I know it made my answers better. Obviously I got the job otherwise my endorsement would be fairly useless hmm

HTH

TheChimpParadox Tue 09-Apr-13 13:22:39

I would imagine it would be competency based . I have gone through my CV and skills required and thought of some examples .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now