Advanced search

I feel a bit stoopid for asking, but would I get any tax credits or the like? Also should I pay NI?

(13 Posts)
HotelSchmotel Sat 06-Apr-13 19:24:10

I have just gone back to work for the first time in ten years shock. DH works full time, earns approx 45K. I will be working 20 hours a week, but earning so little I won't be paying tax or NI.

My questions are - as we will need after school child care three days a week, would we qualify for any allowances/credits, and should I voluntarily pay NI to improve my pension?

When I was last at work, we did get tax credits, but haven't for a few years now, but I have no idea what the system is now.

Ta for any advice or links for places to look smile

HotelSchmotel Sat 06-Apr-13 20:19:57

Hopeful bump smile

AnnoyingOrange Sat 06-Apr-13 20:31:07

If you are getting child benefit you will also get NI credits, so no need to pay voluntary NI contributions

AnnoyingOrange Sat 06-Apr-13 20:34:10

See here

Babyroobs Sat 06-Apr-13 20:37:04

How many children do you have?

ImogensMumJess Sat 06-Apr-13 20:40:58

I have no idea, but the link was fairly uninformative (for my situation) - you need to call and enquire, and get them to credit you! So thanks for the heads up!! And good luck with your job!

TheSecondComing Sat 06-Apr-13 20:42:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Babyroobs Sat 06-Apr-13 20:49:42

The cut off for one child is about 327k, then goes up by about 6K for each additional child, but if a child has disabilities or you are claiming childcare costs it will be higher.

Babyroobs Sat 06-Apr-13 20:50:13

Sorry that is meant to say £27 k

Babyroobs Sat 06-Apr-13 20:52:21

I doubt very much you would get any tax credits if your husband is on £45k and then you have your wage on top, unless of course you have loads of kids and high childcare costs.

lljkk Sun 07-Apr-13 10:20:15

This was well publicised before the latest "But SAHMs NEED childcare Vouchers" row.

Combined income of £49-£52k you probably qualify for some (rather modest) child tax credits, but the CTC will be taxable income (at 40% for your partner).

Even on NMW, doesn't OP's employer pay some NIC for OP?

AnnoyingOrange Sun 07-Apr-13 11:42:59

Some info about NI thresholds. If you earn less than £149 per week (Primary Threshold), you co not have contributions deducted

Lower Earnings Limit (LEL)
This is the minimum level of earnings that an employee needs to qualify for benefits, such as State Pension and Jobseeker’s Allowance. If an employee’s earnings reach or exceed this level, but don’t exceed the Primary Threshold, they won’t pay NICs but will be treated as having paid them when claiming benefit. For this reason, you must keep details of an employee’s earnings at or above the LEL on a form P11 or equivalent record and report them at the end of the year on a form P14.
Secondary Threshold (ST)
When earnings exceed this level NICs become payable by the employer.
Primary Threshold (PT)
When earnings exceed this level NICs become payable by the employee


HotelSchmotel Sun 07-Apr-13 12:40:40

Ta for all your help. I wasn't expecting to 'qualify' for anything, but it was suggested to me I look into it. I suspect if I was eligible, the amount would be so low as to be more trouble than it's worth.

I have 3 children btw, all under 12, so the NI credits will be given to me even though I won't be paying them myself - that is good to know.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: