Talk

Advanced search

How long to get back into it after 3.5 yrs out?

(5 Posts)
Ionasky Wed 03-Apr-13 22:03:50

I resigned old job (IT sector, software house) 3 and a half yrs ago, got taken back on a 3 month contract by same firm hoping it will extend but nearly finishing 4th week and I can tell they are pretty unimpressed. I can see that I'm not as sharp on picking up on things/ have made a few mistakes. Anybody been in similar situation? How long did it take you to get back up to speed? Feel quite lousy about it, have been trying to do extra hours but quality wise isn't helping...

lljkk Fri 05-Apr-13 16:46:10

(sucks teeth) I may be in same boat soon, we shall see! (Beavering back into SQL manual)

You still have 9 weeks to prove yourself, even if this doesn't turn into longer term it will be something recent to put on CV while job hunting elsewhere. Don't despair.

Ionasky Mon 08-Apr-13 13:06:21

thanks! Good luck with your sql re-learning! I wonder if that's the problem in fact, should've spent time brushing up more before jumping in...

lljkk Mon 08-Apr-13 13:38:00

I don't think speculative retraining is very good tactic, either. I haven't used SQL before btw, but it seems to be widespread and would be in the job I think I'll get. Problem is there are so many implementations that no point in trying to learn specific syntax. That's what retraining is like, I think.

Ionasky Mon 08-Apr-13 14:12:47

That is a good point re SQL plus easier to pick up when you are using the databases you'll be working on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now