Talk

Advanced search

Working in Independent school - do you get help with DCs fees?

(8 Posts)
dinosaurinmybelly Wed 03-Apr-13 18:14:55

Hello -

I'm hoping that someone out there works at an independent school and can tell me if taking a job at such a school might also offer a little help with the school fees.

I am a SAHM hoping to return to the workforce next year and this could be just the solution for us as it would mean I could be with my DCs during their holidays. If we could also get some help with their fees it would be wonderful.

All advice welcome - I am based in London, I do not have a PGCE (have an MSc Finance) but was thinking I could perhaps offer administrative services. I'm planning now as I am sure these roles are hard to come by.

LIZS Wed 03-Apr-13 18:17:51

Not sure if same for admin but ft teaching staff can get up to 50% locally. Those jobs are like gold dust though and normally expect some school admin experience.

Murtette Wed 03-Apr-13 23:30:45

Depends. The school I was at offered a 33% reduction but only for the first two DC and only for teaching staff as opposed to admin, maintenance etc staff.

PollyEthelEileen Thu 04-Apr-13 07:51:55

My school gives the same discount to all staff.

My DDs' school doesn't give staff discounts at all, but my DSs' school gave 67%.

It is highly variable, and really a matter of luck where you end up.

meditrina Thu 04-Apr-13 08:03:38

Don't count on being with DCs during the holidays. The admin staff are often very busy during those times, what with termly bills falling due then.
Check carefully; it can be as little as a week off at both Christmas and Easter.

Waferthinmint Thu 04-Apr-13 08:06:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PollyEthelEileen Thu 04-Apr-13 08:14:01

Our admin staff get the statutory 28 days holiday. There is always someone in school, except for public holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year.

We pick up a lot of new pupils in the holidays, so it is very important to have someone to answer the phone etc.

We have an on-site holiday camp, so it would be possible to spend time with the children during the workday.

1stMrsFrugal Thu 04-Apr-13 19:33:31

I work full time all year round in an independent school and I would get 33% discount for first DC and 50% for others. If you work term time only this discount is prorataed. Another school I interviewed at only gave discount to teaching staff, but it was 50% discount. It seems to vary, but generally yes, it does happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now