Talk

Advanced search

On Maternity and wanting to resign - When's Best?

(3 Posts)
Harperhan Wed 03-Apr-13 16:16:04

I am on maternity leave and have been since 17th July last year. It was fully my intention to go back to work as a part time property manager but life has changed and with 3 children I have decided to resign and look after them.

What I need to know is when is the best time to resign for me to benefit the most financially. Could I hand my notice in 3 months in advance so they know I am leaving to help them. I just feel that it is a little unfair to dump the situation on them one month before I go back. I just want to get paid for all of my accrued holiday etc.

Any advice gratefully received.

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Wed 03-Apr-13 16:21:35

Just give the notice you are contractually obliged to give, formally. Give them a verbal "heads up" if you really want to but if you do it formally you will loose out as they are only obliged to pay your your notice period IIRC

AmandaPayntedEgg Wed 03-Apr-13 16:29:26

Are they generally nice people?

Strawberries is right that they only have to pay you for your notice period. However, if you look closely, most employment contracts actually say you have to give 'at least' one month's notice.

There is nothing to stop you writing three months before and saying "I have decided not to return from maternity leave and am therefore giving notice that I would like my employment to end on X date."

The reason I've asked if they are arseholes is arseholes might mess you about and try and end your employment not on X date, but a month after your letter. There are various reasons this wouldn't work, but last thing you need is an employment tribunal.

Do just watch out for things like bonus though. Employees in their notice period are often ineligible, so you could miss out on money you would otherwise be due.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now