Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Admin error received full salary on ml- do I need to pay back?

(15 Posts)
ForTheLoveOfSocks Sat 09-Mar-13 10:44:43

Hi princess

You have done the right thing. Keep what you can in a separate account so you can pay them back.

With being honest you also have more of a chance to negotiate a payment plan rather than one big hit when you return.

Oh and document every phone call and who you spoke to, times etc, just in case.

Have you got your contract of employment or staff handbook? Does it say what happens in the event of an overpayment situation?

princessx Sat 09-Mar-13 10:38:12

Thanks - just emailed them now, and can phone on mon to follow up

Redbindy Fri 08-Mar-13 21:16:15

email them. And keep a copy. You can be sacked for knowingly keeping over payments without bringing it to your employers notice.

HairyHandedTrucker Fri 08-Mar-13 21:16:12

holiday pay?

JoyceDivision Fri 08-Mar-13 21:15:10

place it in a seperate account so you can't spend iyt, and at least let it earn you some interest til you have to give it back grin

princessx Fri 08-Mar-13 21:12:12

Thanks folks, it can't be smp as I don't get that as not been there long enough, so I've to get maternity allowance from gov (although admin error there as not received that.

Will call them on Monday sad

Trills Fri 08-Mar-13 09:40:36

Call them. If you are lucky you will discover that the maternity leave policy has changed to "full pay for the first 3 months". If you are unlucky at least you know now and not later.

AmandaPayne Fri 08-Mar-13 09:39:32

Yes, you do have to repay overpayments. But SMP is 90 per cent for six weeks and things like tax adjustment can result in you getting more than you expect, so it might not be as much of a difference as you think.

FadBook Fri 08-Mar-13 09:37:13

Double check because statutory maternity pay is 90% of earning for 6 weeks - could you have received that? And perhaps any holiday pay too? If their Company policy is to offer above this (most public sector bodies offer more) then it might be right.

Just give HR or Payroll a call to check. They will be in the right to claw it back if they've overpaid you. It is therefore very important to sort out sooner rather than later.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Fri 08-Mar-13 07:14:46

Have you checked your contract and are definitely meant to be on smp now? I got 8 weeks full pay and 4 weeks half at my company before receiving smp.

fluffacloud Fri 08-Mar-13 07:10:21

I'm afraid that yes you should tell them. And, yes they will take it back.

Sorry grin

ProfYaffle Fri 08-Mar-13 07:09:24

Even if they don't realise for a while, they will still be entitled to recover it at a later date, better to pay it back now before it gets spent.

ThreeBeeOneGee Fri 08-Mar-13 07:08:53

Even if you don't tell them, they'll figure it out when they do their wages control or their Year End and you'll have to pay it back then. So I wouldn't spend it...

fridayfreedom Fri 08-Mar-13 07:08:34

Erm, yes you do. They will only claim it back later if not and you won't look very good particularly if you want to work for them after mat leave.

princessx Fri 08-Mar-13 07:03:32

Just a quick one, and I'm guessing what the right answer is already.

I've been on mat leave for 2 months and I've received 2 full months pay as an admin error I suppose. I need to phone hr about another matter. Soi have to tell them. Do I think I will need to pay it back even though it was their mistake?

Please say no!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: