Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Am I entitled to claim jobseekers allowance (or any other benefits)?

(11 Posts)
FreddoBaggyMac Wed 16-Jan-13 16:30:53

Hi. After being a SAHM for eight years I am trying to return to work now that the youngest of my four DCs is at preschool. DH thinks I may be entitled to claim jobseekers allowance while I'm looking for work, but I think not as he works full time and it will be assessed on his salary (?) Also, I am only looking to go back part time (2 days a week until my youngest DC starts school in September) and wouldn't I need to be looking for full time work to claim any kind of allowance?
I worked full time for approx seven years before having children and I'm wondering if the tax credits I would have accumulated have any relevance? Any help or advice would be most appreciated, none of the government websites seem to give me clear answers!
Many thanks.

1stMrsFrugal Wed 16-Jan-13 17:11:44

I made a claim and it was refused as I did not have any NI credits for the last 2 years. DH was also claiming continutions based JSA at the time, and we have too much in savings for either of us to be eligible for income-based JSA. So I think you would not get it, but I couldn't figure it out either, which is why I made a claim!

FreddoBaggyMac Wed 16-Jan-13 17:15:49

Thanks 1stMrsFrugal - it's so confusing! We have no savings so would not fail on that score!

slambang Wed 16-Jan-13 17:30:18

You can either get contribution based JSA if you've paid enough national Insurance in the last 2 years ( so sounds like not you) or income based JSA based on a means - tested assessment of your family as a whole - in which case your dh's salary, savings etc are taken into account. try the benefits calculator on

FreddoBaggyMac Wed 16-Jan-13 17:50:00

Thanks Slambang, will have a look.

MrsDeVere Wed 16-Jan-13 17:51:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatieScarlett2833 Wed 16-Jan-13 18:14:14

Unless you have worked almost constantly from April 2010 to April 2012 you will not qualify for JSA contributions based. Those are the current relevant income tax years for claims this year from Jan 6th.

MrsDeVere Wed 16-Jan-13 19:06:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slambang Wed 16-Jan-13 19:55:10

Yes Mrs Devere. The govt are gracious enough to help those on carers allowance with their NI contributions seeing as how they're doing a pretty much full time job for less thasn the rate you'd get if you were on JSA (and saving the govt a fortune in health and care bills in the meantime).

MrsDeVere Wed 16-Jan-13 21:49:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slambang Wed 16-Jan-13 22:27:07

Oh Mrs DV sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: